Add Shelf to Side of Cupboard

Make use of the top of your microwave by adding a shelf made for the side of your cupboards. Once I forgot to remove my skillets from the oven (my old extra shelf), when my grandson was here. He will never let me live it down. He continually asks if I have figured out how long it takes to cook a skillet! No more of that!

As in the photo the skillets are stored on my microwave under the wire shelf. On top of the shelf I have a wicker basket that keeps our chips contained, also in the basket are a couple of hotpads to use with the microwave.

Here is another use for the wire shelf. When we purchased a new freezer we found that the shelves were too far apart wasting a lot of room. I found a wire shelf that slides onto a cupboard shelf, slipped it onto the freezer shelf and wired them together. Now I have twice as much room with no wasted space.

By Ann (latrtatr) from Loup City, NE

I use those same shelves in other places. In my upper cabinets, I put my larger plates under the shelf and the smaller ones on top. I don't have to move small plates to get to the big ones. In my closet, I have a few shelves that are great for shoes, but there is wasted space above the shoes. With these shelves, I can put shoes on the wire shelves and more below them - doubles the space.

Wire shelves are indispensable! 'Good for "small-space" frustration in my studio apartment.

Gentle caveat: most microwave oven manufacturers warn against placing heavy objects on top of the oven. If not a heavy-duty, kryptonite-type, the oven's top could begin to cave in over time and create an unsafe state: more than normal radiation leakage.

lol! I've cooked a few skillets in my time, too!

I like the idea about the wire shelf inside the freezer, but the wire shelf on top of the microwave just looks a bit cluttered to me. So I would have to say thumbs up for half of the post.

Ya, these are good idea but if you have others in the home that hate looking at a lot of things at once, you can not use them. I have a few people here that cannot find a thing, if things are close together, so space is wasted here.