Household Items to Support a Kitchen Shelf

I live in a complex that is 36 years old and just like we humans, things sag from time to time. The second shelf was bowing in the middle, and the flimsy little pegs that hold it up don't really help. So...

I found a single food container to use in the front, and two that matched the heights in the back. No cost, no chance of waiting 3 weeks for a maintenance request that couldn't really be fixed, and now I can put heavier things on the upper shelf.

Other things can work, too. An emptied 32 oz. bottle of vinegar without the lid, certain tin cans in combinations. You just need to get creative.

N-JOY!

Is the shelf removable? I was in charge of a tech school library several years ago, and all the shelves were sort of sinking in the middle, so I flipped them over.

In our old house, we had a tiny little pantry, so I added a shelf on the floor by putting a board on top of mason jars, and then added a door storage wire shelf system (from Container Store). It practically doubled my storage space.

Yes it is but it is really hard to get out and flip.

The jars idea is a good one, too. I have made filler shelves with everything from soup cans to juice cans depending on what the shelf was being used for. I even used old condensed books taped together and stood up on their ends for support.

Aren't we crafty people?
Sandi/PBP