Gift Ideas for a Child Undergoing Chemotherapy

I need ideas for fun inexpensive gifts to send to my nephew who will be missing first grade this year due to illness (undergoing chemo). I'm thinking he will not be outside very much.

Thanks,
Jerry from Rural Missouri

Hi Jerry, I am so sorry for your nephews illness. Hope he is doing well. Of course, color books and new crayons are always welcome as our picture books. A kaliedescope(sp) is always fun. How about play dough? It is a pain to clean up. Probably best of all will be people visiting him and telling him how much they love him Linda

A few years ago my son was confined to the house for 8 weeks after surgery and he wasn't up to having visitors for the first few weeks.

He spent the time making a claymation style movie and it really kept him busy when he was feeling up to it and he had something to show his friends and relations at the end of it all.

He used playdough to make all the characters and his sisters dolls house was the location, the furniture was a good size for the little figures he made.

He wrote the plot for the movie and then took lots of photos with a digital camera and put it together in MS Powerpoint. He really enjoyed the whole process and we were able to buy him lots of little things to use, from a comfy cushion to sit on to wiggly eyes etc for his little people. He also printed off lots of the photos and put them in a scrapbook where he was able to write the plans for his story.

Maybe someone could help him with the computer work and let him enjoy the fun of it all.

I'm sure that just even receiving some letters in the post will cheer your nephew, you could include stickers, balloons, funny jokes etc that will make him smile.

I wish him all the best.

great ideas and thanks for your time. Been too long since we had any 6 year olds. Thanks again.

Do you remember Woolie Willie? It's an inexpensive, small, quiet toy that will help pass time. It's made in the USA. Here's a link: http://www.smethporttoy.com/

how about an ant farm?? beings he is a boy i bet that would keep him happy for a bit. etch a sketch is always fun. school books that are geared to first grade. you know you can buy them at target or oh no walmart. i have gotten all kinds of things for children online that i have requested. i am looking at a coloring book about how good milk is for you. it is from the usda. dover publications. com is a great site. they sell coloring books. but i get their email every friday night. i then print out the pictures that i like that are from books that are on sale for that week. they have lots of cool thing for kids. dinosaurs, animals, plants etc and games in books.

i will be praying for your grandson. blessing to you and him from me and God in Batlimore, md

How about things that help him express himself? I'm thinking art supplies, or better yet, the use of a video camera so he can make a film about the whole year. Of course it would be a team effort with an adult who loves him very much, could there be one of those around? ya think?? God bless your family and the boy's healing. Please keep us updated.

Jerry,

For hospital stays, small objects that Mom and Dad can pack when going home work well. If the hospital has a DVD player, maybe a few of his favorite DVDs. If you live close by, perhaps there are some things you can do for the family - mow the grass, do grocery shopping, provide a meal or dessert, contact some churches or organizations that might like to make a donation to help the family. My daughter is a cancer survivor and I know the road your nephew and his family are traveling. Take care.

Sincerely,

Valerie

i send my grandchildren messages in a bottle and they love it i buy dollar store items and mix it up in used water bottles and tape them back up and mail them. this keeps up there spirits and they know i care. i will pray for yours denise

the dollar store has lots of neat books and toys. Check it out ~

good luck hope all goes well ,

how about some eductional games ,books ,computer disc games or may be you can get some org. to come in and play with child , learn with child gook luck

Check out chemoangels.com - it is a great organization to bring smiles to patients undergoing chemo and we love kids.

I know this isn't small nor inexpensive, but please consider buying the family a trampoline. When my 7 year-old neighbor had his leg amputated (bone cancer), he regularly came to our house to play on ours, even between chemo treatments. It was great for his coordination and sense of balance, allowed him the feeling of freedom by being outside even though he wasn't around other children much, and offered him the ability to do something 'normal' giving him some control over his life. Just being able to jump and have fun during this time enabled his attitude to soar. It also allowed his parents to see his resiliency through his ability to laugh and have fun despite what else was going on. He often got right out of the vehicle as soon as they returned home from treatment and bounced to his hearts content.

chemoangels.com I was going to suggest it myself-we angels really get around! This is perfect, it will give him something to look forward to every week!

My son had chemo from age 2 to 4 1/2. Sometimes he was very tired & sore, didn't want to move much, so watched alot of videos or books on tape. Other times, a ball of fire & into everything,so we'd try to get him out & active

Cuddly stuff is great (blankets, pillows, stuffed animals, etc.)

bubbles are good too, they can pretend they are blowing the pain away with the bubbles & they can do it inside.

games,cars,puzzles,craft kits,clay,'squishy'balls, anything a normal boy would like.

You can make craft kits yourself, ziplock bag with supplies & instructions to make something.

'movie kits' with a video (or gift card to Blockbuster,microwave popcorn, candy, etc.

disposable camera & then develope the film for him

Boys that age also love practical jokes. Anything you can find that he can use to pull a joke on family, visitors & his doctors & nurses will be a big hit & make him laugh when he 'gets them'!

Holidays and Parties Gifts ChildrenJuly 1, 2007
Childs Car Seat
Decorating a Child's Car Seat
Parenting an Autistic Child, Diamond shaped traffic sign warning, autistic child area.
Parenting an Autistic Child
Fishing gear.
Making a Fishing Gift Basket
Husband and Wife holding a baby
Adopting a Child
🎉
🎄