Growing Food in the Fall and Winter

I would like to ask Kathleen from Dothan, Alabama what and how she grows produce in the off season months during fall and winter? I am an amateur gardener and would like to learn more about growing year around. Hardiness Zone: 9a Jimmy from Gulf Breeze, Florida

Editor's Note: Jimmy is referring to this post in yesterday's Happy Garden newsletter. It's a great question. Does Kathleen (or anyone else) have any advice to share?

I'm not a gardner, but my friends grew spinach all year long. They made a box with old windows set at an angle for the lid. This was in the coldest part of eastern Washington about 60 miles from the Canadian border. But you live in Florida. My Grandmother used to grow all kinds of things in Fort Meyers (south-west Florida) the only thing she did was grow her garden in the Fall & Winter, what us people from the North would grow in the Spring & Summer. I do remember that she had to fertilize the ground, because she had sand instead of dirt.

I have tomatoes growing, although not for long, as we have close to freezing at night. I would love to hear other options.

I grow veggies all year. I have 4 foot by 4 foot raised beds, but I don't think that is the important part. I researched all my seed packets, a local university (UC Davis), and handouts from local nursery/plant stores, etc. Of course, you can only grow certain veggies certain parts of the year, but year round gardening is very do-able. It just might take some research for your area.

Hi - I am from zone 8? Sacramento, CA. I grow veggies all year in 4 ft X 4 ft raised bed plots (25 of them as of now), but I don't think that is the important part. What I did was research the back of seed packets, my local university (UC Davis) and collected info from local nurseries and garden stores for what veggies to plant when.

I grow all kinds of veggies - squash, beans, corn, cukes, etc, in spring and summer, lettuce, beets, radishes, etc in winter, (just a sample). It just depends on when they are happiest growing. Hope this helps, even though I am on the other side of the US!

I grow all kind of greens in fall & winter, turnips, mustard, lettuce, rutabagas & collards also onions & garlic. Thanks, Kathleen

Frosted vegetable in garden.
Growing Food in the Fall and Winter
Home and Garden Gardening Growing Growing FoodNovember 21, 2008
Woman holding up vegetables from her garden.
Growing Your Own Food
Cold frame and glass cloches for plant protection.
Preparing Your Garden for Winter
Family with Garden Harvest
Preparing Your Garden For Fall
Saving Money on Winter Vacations, Snowman and Snowwoman Enjoying the Pool and Warm Sun Together
Saving Money on Winter Vacations
🎉
🎄