Giving Dogs Aspirin

My dog has tendinitis in her left hind leg. Can I give her any aspirin for it? If so, how much at a time? I would like to know because my dad wants to put her down. She won't eat. Can you help?

By Luna, Saya, and baby from Torrington, WY

Some veterinarians recommend aspirin for dogs who have problems with inflammation of some kind, but there are other things to consider when doing so. The dosage depends on the weight of the dog, so you'd need to ask your veterinarian what the appropriate dose would be for your dog and whether you should give it once or twice a day. One of the problems with aspirin or any other anti-inflammatory drug is that since it has a pain reducing quality in addition to the anti-inflammatory quality, the dog may FEEL better and become more active, which makes whatever is going on in the first place worse. Also, if your dog won't eat, then the aspirin will be very hard on its stomach. You don't mention the age of your dog or the weight and breed; knowing those things would be helpful.

The dosage of aspirin for dogs is 10 mg per pound, given every 12 hours. It is extremely important to pay attention to your dog's eating habits when administering aspirin. Dogs have no way to tell you their stomach is upset so you must watch for signs of this. If your dog stops eating while you are giving aspirin it is important to stop giving the aspirin.

My dog has arthritis in her hip. The vet told me to give her Entrophen, which is a coated aspirin. It doesn't dissolve until it reaches the intestines, therefor, it is easier on the stomach. If you don't have it in your state, ask your pharmacist for a coated aspirin. I wrap it in peanut butter so she swallows it whole.

You aren't supposed to give them regular aspirin. They however can take baby aspirin. 1 pill for every 10 pounds of weight is what our vet recommended.

My dog has been on & off limping. We have run the gambit all the way through xrays. According my vet, the occasional aspirin is okay. I was told to get Ascriptin which is a coated aspirin. That is a 325 mg pill and my pup is about 62lbs. I was told either one a day or 1/2 twice a day. But you really should be working with your vet on this. If it becomes a regular medicine, then you might need behave the blood work monitored. Also, there are other meds like Rimadyl that the vet can prescribe (there is a cheaper generic now). But that has to be monitored to. But like someone else mentioned, if they don't feel the pain, then there is more likelihood they will be active and can aggravate the situation.

You also mention she wont eat. That is not normal reply to tendinitis. Do she have more health issues? As far as your dad wanting to put your pup down, it seems like an extreme choice, depending of course on what other situations there are (old, ill, etc.). Good Luck

My vet says he doesn't prescribe aspirin any more for dogs. He prescribes paracetemol. My dog has arthritis and has 1 paracetemol in morning and 1 at teatime. (That's for a medium/large sized dog.) If your dog has lost her appetite, she should see the vet.

Just call your vet's office and ask.

I found some dog snacks at the dollar tree called Supreme Healthy MAX hip and joint dog treats. My dog is old and is stiff and has a hard time moving around especially when it is cold or rainy. But I started giving these to her about 2 months ago, and she is doing a whole lot better. They have Glucosamine and Chondroitin in them. But they were only a dollar and they seem to be well worth it. Jane

When Ever you need to give a Dog pills. I found that "String Cheese" WORK best. I tend to buy thw "white" because thats what I like. Slice off a little bit of it...(depending on pill size), Either stick it in the Cheese OR wrap the Cheese around it. I haven't had any trouble Giving Pills since.

Aspirin
Giving Dogs Aspirin
Pets Dogs HealthMarch 31, 2009
Aspirin
Uses for Aspirin
Preventing Heartworms in Dogs
How Do Dogs Get Heartworms?
Cat Food
Is Cat Food OK for Dogs?
Medication for a sick Golden Retriever puppy.
Giving Pills to Dogs
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 23, 2017 at 8:14:30 AM on 10.0.2.252 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.