BreakfastRecipes

Finnish Pancake

Ingredients

• 4 eggs
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • 2 1/2 cups milk
  • 1 cup unsifted flour
  • 1/4 cup butter

Directions

Heat oven to 425 degrees F and put large 2 qt. souffle dish in for 10 minutes. Beat eggs, honey, salt and milk together. Add flour to mixture and beat until blended and smooth. Remove dish from oven and put butter in it; return to oven to melt butter. Pour in batter. Bake at 425 degrees F for 25 minutes.

By Robin from Washington, IA

My recipe for Pannu Kakku or Finnish Pancakes varies somewhat. This is the one I was taught and have made many times over. I hope you give them a try. They are actually crepes but traditionally called pancakes ;-)

Pannu Kakku or Finnish Pancakes

This recipe is from Finland where pancakes are the proper traditional supper for the eve of the Birth of St. John the Baptist, June 24. A bonfire on "St. John's Eve" is another tradition in many countries. This batter can be mixed ahead and carried in a large Mason jar. As the flames are just glowing embers, use a long-handled griddle to make your sweet pancakes. Served with fresh, ripe red raspberries, these Finnish Pancakes are sure to make your bonfire a success. Now, if you're not doing the bonfire then follow the recipe and make them as you would crepes ;-)

2 beaten eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 teaspoon salt

2 Tablespoons sugar

2 cups milk

1-1/2 cups sifted flour

1 Tablespoon melted butter

Directions:

Beat eggs, vanilla, salt and sugar. Add milk and flour alternately. Stir in butter. Fry on hot lightly greased griddle. Serve with ripe strawberries, red raspberries or berries of your choice. Even jam or just a sprinkling of confectioners sugar.

Note: Sometimes I use apples that I have peeled, sliced and gently fried with a little butter and sugar.

Are you Finish? I notice that your recipes are the ones I copy the most. Thank you for all the good eats.