Make Your Own Storm Windows

Can someone give me easy to follow detailed instructions on how to make the Plexiglas storm windows? I have seen a topic on this, but would like a more detailed instruction if possible. Thank you for your help.

By Kelly P. from FL Panhandle

Answers

There are interesting tips for making storm windows, all you have to do is scroll down further than Post Feedback, there are other ones below in the archives.

here is another one that I found:

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/diy-wood-storm-windows

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

October 17, 2009 Flag

I know that a lot of people with older homes have resorted to using plastic on their windows to eliminate drafts. I used to do this every year too. I checked into replacing the windows, but the cost was a small fortune. So here is what I came up with.

• 1x2 pieces of wood
  • Pieces of plexi glass
  • 4 L brackets per window
  • primer
  • Small amount of your trim paint
  • Window clips, two per window (These are made by Stanley and look like big wing nuts with screws.)

Instructions:

I started out by measuring the inside of the window casing. I then ordered the plexi glass and had it cut to my dimensions. My husband then made frames that fit right inside the window casings and screwed the plexi glass to the wooden frames. He used metal screws with a rubber washer and then a metal washer on top. He then put the window clips on the outside edge of the casing.

Prime and paint your windows. The advantage to these windows is that you can still see out them, So you don't feel shut in for the winter. They give you a dead air space between your window and the new storm window. They can be used every year and can be cleaned and stored. They lay flat and can be bungeed together for storage in the eaves of a garage or in a shed.

They go up very easy, you could even get your kids to do :). Total cost of materials was about $ 250.00 dollars but when you think of the replacement cost of a new window that is pretty cheap. Oh by the way that was 8 windows for 250.00. Hope this saves someone some money out there. With heating costs going up these can be life savers.

By Debra in Colorado

I just saw this on another site: Go to Home Depot (or other like store) and buy Plexiglas. Have the store cut to exact size of each window you have.

When you get home, set Plexiglas into each window and use clear tape to secure.

Saves money on heating costs and they are easy to store. I wanted to share with all of you as this is my favorite site with all the nice people sharing tips and cute photos.

By Annie from MO

Answers:

Make Your Own Storm Windows

For those of us with full-sized screens mounted on the outside of the windows, one extremely cheap alternative would be to wrap plastic over the screen, folding it over the edges and securing it on the inside with double-sided tape. This shouldn't add to the bulk of the screen too much, so fit won't be a problem. The screens can be reinstalled when wrapped from the inside of the home, making it easier to deal with on two-story homes like mine.

One big advantage would be that the wind should blow the plastic against the screen, so bulging won't be an issue, as it is for me when I have installed it on the inside of the windows. The plastic can be removed and maybe reused (perhaps cut for smaller windows) for the next year. I plan to store some of the screens, plastic and all, as I don't leave them on all my windows, only the ones I use regularly (they tend to pull dirt from the air and dirty the windows faster). This should give most of the advantages of the homemade storms without the greater investment of time or money. Let me know what you think; I'm going to do mine next week when the temps are supposed to go back into the 50's.

(11/15/2007)

By Nancy B.

Make Your Own Storm Windows

I am making 74 storm windows for a 100+ year old home in Texas. However, I am using all the original window screens which eliminates making frames. (09/13/2008)

By Dot

Make Your Own Storm Windows

FYI: Home Depot doesn't cut Plexiglas, but you can cut it yourself with a utility knife and a metal ruler. (01/01/2009)

By Susan

installing windows
Saving Money on Windows
Home and Garden Home Improvement HeatingOctober 17, 2009
Cleaning Windows
Cleaning Lawn Service Chemicals from Windows
A woman stand in a room built using recycled windows.
Building with Recycled Windows
Installing a New Window
Hiring Someone to Replace Your Windows
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 5:39:44 PM on 10.0.0.150 in 736 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.