Create a Computer Troubleshooting Binder

I love my computer but must admit that I'm not savvy on it at all. I am forever coming across a problem that I don't know how to fix and having to call HP, AOL, or somebody to help me. I found I was calling lots of times over and over for the same problems. Finally I came up with an idea and it's saved me countless phone calls.

Now when I have a problem and have to call, while I'm on the phone I take detailed notes. Then when I'm done I immediately write up the problem and everything that was done to fix the problem on the computer (or hand write it, either way). I keep a notebook binder on the desk now with lots of page protectors in it. Into each page protector goes the problem and fix. Then I stick a tab on the edge with a short "label" of what the problem was.

This has saved me a lot of headaches and a lot of time. It's so much faster and easier than trying to call these companies!

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

It is also good to make a dated page in your book for the last backup made. After the date write down programs that you install after the back up. You can also "line these programs out" if you decide they are not worth having or just don't do the job. That way if you ever have to do a re-install from the back up and go to add the other programs you can skip over ones you decided earlier you didn't need.

When you do another back up at a later date you can just add another page and do the same thing. If something comes up with a program not working you have a reference for when the program was installed.

Good idea, Cricket. I take notes, too, although I'm less organized about it.

SunTyde, I back up my entire document folder pretty much daily, so don't take notes on that. It would just take up too much time and space! With this routine, if (God forbid) I ever have serious trouble, I might only lose a few hours' work.

I haven't called the pc company too many times but do have some troubleshooter techs I can email. So I have a folder saved in my mail (Outlook Express) that has my original question & their answers saved. Then if something similar happens again I can go back & check it out there 1st. One of my most helpful tech guys is Helmut from Webby's Humor Letter (I get it daily). He has been very helpful in the past. Then too I subscribe to the Cloudeight newsletter & they too answer pc questions & will some times either post it in their newsletter or end you an email.

Hi: I too am not a tech person at all. I use a public library computer too so we don't have any control over things too and got lots of rules etc. What I end up doing is asking the three search engines about the problem I am experiencing and voila there are others going through the same thing and the solution to it too. I'd be really angry and frustrated if I was at home and computer things began to happen too, because you had paid good money for a fast machine and it's not working and doing things computers don't do. I get the answers real quick just by asking the search engines about the problem. I read in a computer book at the library about computer built in protection that you must enable and remember to enable up-dating for it too. It's in your start-programs area. Good luck and I hope this helps many.

Hoping to get my own computer soon,

Krisstti

I learned a lot from the free email that I get every Friday. They also have a daily email with computer tips. You just have to sign up with your email and that's it. I've been getting it for years. Here's the url:

http://thundercloud.net/start/index.htm

There's a place to "subscribe" to the daily newsletter about 2 inches down. It's perfectly safe. They keep your email address private and you can sign up with just a first name.

I do this too. :)

Wonderful idea! I am one of those 70 somethings who hates to ask for help. I wish I had thought of this.

Also something that is helpful is to ask the expert you have called for help to send you an e-mail containing the steps or process they recommend to fix your problem. Then you can simply print it our or save it in your docuements (label the folder(> computer things)in your computer. Anne in Bailey, NC

Just one more thought to your idea. I did just what your saying, but someone liked my notes and took them. Scanning notes then save to disk.

I record tech calls to keep better notes with, I do ask first.

Ps remember to create system restore disk X 2. I say times two just incase one vanishes

A man having trouble with his computer.
Troubleshooting Computer Problems
Organizing OfficeJune 16, 2010
Computer Browser
Troubleshooting Computer Software
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a Computer Screen
Cleaning a Laptop Keyboard, Photo of a laptop keyboard.
Laptop Computer Tips and Tricks
🎉
🎄