Keeping Deer Out of a Container Garden

Tips for keeping deer out of gardens without fences. Post your own ideas here.

Human Hair

I've heard that if you put human hair around your plants that the deer will stay away. I guess they think that a person is there because they smell the human scent on the hair. My friend does this and it keeps out the deer.

By luv2craft

Egg Water Solution

Mix a solution of 1 egg to 4 litres of water. Spray on the plants. Needs to be reapplied after each rain. Deer do not like the smell of the proteins in the eggs. A simple and cheap way of controlling the deer. (We did this for years until last year when we put up a 8' fence).

By valleyrimgirl

Marigolds Or Electric Fencing

I recently read if you plant marigolds all around your garden, deer (along with other critters) can't stand the smell. My sister and family, keep the critters out of their garden with a couple strands of electric fencing around their garden. It's the best that's worked for them. Best of luck on your garden!

By badwater

Fishing Line

Put a few short posts, about 2 to 3 foot, at corners and string nylon fish line from post to post, they cannot see it and will not want to go through it. You may need to put 2 rows a couple of feet apart around the garden.

By Anna from Maine

Fishing Line Or Jalapenos

I've read to string a row of fishing line around the plants and then to string one lower down around the plants. The deer will learn not to go to your house because they can't see what is stopping them from their treats. I don't know if this works or not-just read it recently. If it doesn't work, try buying a big jar of jalapeno peppers and grind them up in the blender or food processor with the juice. Spread it all around the plants. It won't hurt any plants and it keeps the cats away from us. They don't like the smell and don't get close enough for it to harm them. Perhaps it will work with deer also.

Jeane in Texas

Dogs Or Irish Spring Soap

Dogs work real well to keep deer out of your yard, but if you don't have one, try shaving Irish Spring soap around your plants. My SIL used this and they stayed away, but you do have to replace the shavings occassionally.

Just an FYI: Deer have been eating my jalapenos that I'm growing, so I wouldn't suggest using those as a deterrent for deer.

I have marigolds around my vulnerable new tree, and the deer are eating the marigolds (and the tree)!

Keeping Deer Out of Your Garden, Doe in Suburban Garden
Keeping Deer Out of Your Garden
Home and Garden Pest Control DeerMay 31, 2007
Liquid Fence Deer and Rabbit Repellent
Liquid Fence Deer and Rabbit Repellent Review
yellow fly or deer fly
Getting Rid of Deer Flies (Yellow Flies)
Fawn (Baby Deer) standing in the grass.
Fawn (Baby Deer) Information and Photos
Deer in a garden
Homemade Deer Repellents