Floating Eggs Are Too Old To Use

With grocery prices rising almost daily, I am even more prudent in seeking even small ways to save. Tip: Don't throw away eggs just because the sell by date has passed. If you will fill a pot with water and put the eggs in, the ones which are still good will touch the bottom. The ones which fully float are no longer any good. I do this regularly and have seen good results in this procedure.

Source: I have no idea where I learned this since I've been doing it for years.

By Sandy from Elon, NC

When you purchase eggs, store them in the fridge in their carton displaying the use-by date. For every day you store an egg at room temperature, it will keep for a few days in the fridge. This way they are still good for a time after the expiry date on their carton.

And if it floats, what do you do with it? ...throw it out? Are you saying that the floater is not good enough to use for certain things? or anything? Have you ever cooked and compared the taste of a floater and a non-floater? is there a big difference in the taste/texture? Just wanting to validate the method and its usefulness.

For as many years as I can remember the story that if a egg floats in water it is old. I do not and most people do not check eggs in water to see if they float or not; just if you are going to boil them. I have boiled eggs for years that stand on their ends and never had any problems. I have never seen a egg completely floating in water. We have chickens And the other night I boiled 4 eggs. None of the eggs were more than 3 days old. I know because I got them off the nests myself and you are not going to get any fresher eggs than that. One of the eggs was floating on the end. After they were cooked they were all good. The best thing to do as with all food is to use your best judgement. If it looks odd; smells bad; or just really not sure then don't eat it. Just my thoughts. Hope this helps.

Eggs that are floating on their ends are good. A floater actually means an egg that floats to the top of the water. This happens when the egg is not good to eat, the air sac has gotten so large inside it will cause the egg to float. I have chickens and do not store any of my eggs in the refrigerator. I generally have no problems and I keep them over four weeks. When I do have one that floats, i just throw it into the woods for the animals. Hope this helps!!