My Father's Favorite Salad

This was my father's favorite salad. It's so simple and easy that my mother let me make it for him from the time I was 8 years old.

Wash a few nice lettuce leaves, and place them on a pretty salad plate. Slice a banana the long way like you were going to make a banana split. Place the two halves of banana on the lettuce. Slather on Miracle Whip Salad Dressing, then sprinkle on salted cocktail peanuts.

If your family doesn't care for Miracle Whip, I suppose you could use mayonnaise although I can't imagine that it's going to be nearly as tangy and tasty. The salads were made for each family member and placed near their dinner plate.

I really thought I was grown-up when I was allowed to do that all my myself. It had been my job to set the table for meals since I was 6 years old, and gradually I'd worked up to stirring up corn bread and making that salad. I never got around to making biscuits as good as the ones my mom made though, no matter how hard I've tried over the past 65 more years. What I'd give for just a few more days with her.

Make that salad. I think you'll enjoy it too. Proud Mother of Sir Catty-Kit

By Julia (pookarina) from Boca Raton, FL

Sounds yummy ..

Here's one we made ---

Lettuce Leaf

1 slice pineapple

1 tsp Miracle Whip in the pineapple hole

Sprinkle with Cheddar Cheese

Top with a maraschino cherry (stem optional:)

Hi SieraStar,

Your salad is one we frequently make now. We also make one using canned pear halves which have a scoop of cottage in each half of pear with cherry halves on top, and grated cheddar cheese sprinkled all over. The Miracle Whip is mixed in with shredded lettuce and makes the bed for the pear halves.

I suppose we could make good salads using almost any type of canned fruit, with just a little bit of

imagination, huh?

I like canned figs cut in half and filled with a mixture of cream cheese and finely chopped walnuts; all on top of shredded lettuce mixed with a bit of Miracle Whip and a sprinkle of black pepper. It is simply delicious.

Thank you for the feedback and reminding me of the pineapple. That one is especially great with any kind of fresh pork.

Happy Cooking. Julia in Boca Raton, FL

banana slices
Banana Salad Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Salads FruitMarch 1, 2010
Father's Day Candy Bouquet
Father's Day Candy Bouquet Ideas
A mug made for dad on Father's Day.
Father's Day Crafts for Kids
Girl with Homemade Father's Day Card
Homemade Father's Day Cards
Gift wrapped for Father's Day.
Father's Day Gift Ideas
🎉
🎄