Storing Iceberg Lettuce

When chopping iceberg lettuce, it is a use it now, or lose it. This is common knowledge throughout households and the restaurant industry, because it goes brown! Or does it? Cut it with any knife at any size and store it in PVC free plastic wrap and containers or any container with the chemical free plastic wrap and it will not turn brown for a day or more. I use whole foods brand 365 plastic wrap and storage containers as well, have used both organic and non organic iceberg lettuce and it will not brown nearly what it will with regular name brands and cheap imitations. How about that?

Source: Personal experience, tried and tested!

by Sparklejunk from Columbus, Ohio

One of my aunts taught me to core the iceberg lettuce and run water through that open space. Drain it and then wrap it in a kichen towel and then in a plastic bag. It will last for weeks this way.

Good idea :-) I make sure mine has water moisture removed before and after cutting, place in a container and place a paper towel on top before covering to soak up any remaining water moisture (and the paper towel can be reused to wipe up a spill later). The lettuce stays fresh and brown free for up to a week and a half.

I core my lettuce, then dry it as well as possible. After that I put it in a Ziploc Vacuum Seal bag and vacuum all the air out. I have had it last for weeks, without turning brown either.

Every time I open the bag I make sure to revacuum it out and I've never had it fail. I do this with all my fresh fruits, veggies, and meats. Anything that's not liquid.

After washing and spinning thru a salad spinner, store cut iceberg lettuce with a paper towel in a covered bowl or plastic bag. It will keep for one to two weeks without turning brown or icky. The towel absorbs excess moisture and leeches it back when the lettuce needs it.

After washing the lettuce and letting it drain, I wrap it in paper towels and place in the refrigerator in a non-airtight plastic grocery bag. I've also found that a metal knife will cause the lettuce to turn brown. I use a large serrated plastic knife made for that purpose, but don't remember where I got it.

Try tearing the lettuce instead too. The medal from the knife turns it brown faster.

I bought those special, green bags like those advertised on TV for keeping vegies fresh longer. Bought them at the grocer store. I couldn't tell they kept anything any fresher than a ziplock bag.

I love a chopped salad. Of course I always make too much. I used a plastic serrated blade knife. My salad had chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, celery & the salad dressing (not mayo) mixed with a little sweetener or sugar. I ended up storing it in the fridge for 3 days.It was still as good as on day 1!

If you want to make a large salad, layer the ingredients starting with the lettuce.Then on top spread the salad dressing (like but not mayo). Sprinkle w sugar or sweetener And on the very top sprinkle grated Parmesan or shredded cheese. It's best if you keep it refrigerated for 24 hours. I haven't always waited for 24 hours.Then when ready to serve mix it all together. This a 24 hour salad or a layered salad. What about broccoli, cauliflower, crisp bacon(on top), sliced water chestnuts, or peas? Whatever you like.

It's delicious.

A variety of lettuce.
Storing Lettuce
Food and Recipes StorageMay 11, 2009
Iceberg Lettuce
Growing Iceberg Lettuce
Cleaning and Storing Romaine Hearts
Cleaning and Storing Romaine Hearts
Head of green leaf lettuce.
Washing Lettuce
Lettuce growing in a box.
Growing Lettuce
🎄