Keep Lettuce Fresh Longer

contest winner icon

I live alone. When I buy a bag of lettuce, I divide it up into serving sizes in quart size bags. In each bag, I place a single saltine cracker that I have wrapped in a paper towel, then press the air out. I have had a bag of lettuce stay good for two weeks. Saves me a lot of money. The cracker absorbs the moisture in the bag.

By Linda from Bloomington, ILfrom Bloomington

Thanks for the tip. I'm certainly going to give it a try. I have had to throw out too much wilted lettuce. Thanks, Dorothy

Please clarify Do you wrap the lettuce & cracker in paper towel?
OR just the lettuce?

Wish the produce department would stop 'drowning the greens with all that watering!

I skip the cracker and just use a white paper towel in with the lettuce. I do this for bagged carrots and cold cuts also. It works to keep all fresher. At the end of the item, I use the towel to clean up if the pup had an accident or to sop up another mess. I can't get a third use in like I like to with most things.

Food and Recipes Food Tips VegetablesApril 17, 2012
🌻
📓
🐛