Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Cold Weather Flowers and Plants

Q: What plants and flowers do you recommend for planting in the cold weather?

Hope R from Oklahoma

A: Hope,

As long as the ground isn't frozen, there are a number of plants and flowers suitable for cold weather planting in your zone.

Examples of Annuals: Ornamental Cabbage and Kale, Snapdragons, Dust Miller, Larkspur, Asters, Calendulas, Dianthus.

Examples of Perennials: These include Shirley Poppies, Winter Pansy, Ivy, Rudbeckia, Primrose, Chrysanthemums and Forget-Me-Not.

Don't forget the garden vegetables and herbs. Ornamental Peppers make a beautiful addition to the fall garden (and kitchen). Also try onions, leeks and garlic. Some herbs will also do fine in a milder winter if planted in a protected area. Examples include Sage, Rosemary and Thyme.

Now is also the best time to plant trees and ornamental shrubs.

By

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By (Guest Post)08/28/2008

If you water down your flowers before a frost you won't have to cover them up.

By Mrs. Smith (Guest Post)12/04/2007

Hi Hope
We are moving to California to Idaho soon.
I have "night blooming Jasmin" "Bird of pardise" I would like to take them there.
Do you think they will survive cold weather?

By Lauren (Guest Post)02/19/2005

Hi!
I just got flowers as a surprise for my brithday but I just saw them sitting outside in the cold. It's like 10 degrees here in minnesota.....maybe even less! I don't know how long they've been sitting out there but somehow they aren't dead yet....and they are in a vase with water. What should I do to help extend there life?? and revive them from the cold?

By April (Guest Post)02/12/2005

When it is getting down to about 30 - 40 degrees at night, should you water flowers outside any less?""

By Dee [3]10/04/2004

Helleborus, or lenten rose is a good choice if you get real cold temperatures. witch hazel bushes actually bloom yellow flowers in the winter. the other post mentioned pansies for cooler weather. not much blooms in the winter, so holly (female) will have red berries ETC. usually if they have it at your local nursery...you can plant it at this time.

By Sherry Korniloff10/04/2004

Hi Hope,
Any perennials that are hardy in your zone can be planted now. For fall color you could also plant pansies, ornamental kale, ornamental cabbage and mums.

Newt