Tips for Fishing Without a Boat

I love to fish but I have to fish from the bank because I cannot afford a boat. I use worms and minnows. I am looking for tips for catching fish from the bank.

By chuckwms from Lexington, NC

HI Chuckwms, Also from Lexington, N.C. Find you a favorite location for fishing and in the Spring of the year bait it up with a box of Minute Rice. Simply open the box and throw the rice as far as you can. The fish will be attracted to the spot and stick around. I am not sure the problems you are having but location, preparation, and patience will serve you well.

Also check your local fishing clubs. There might be someone that has a boat that would love a fishing buddy and help on the gas.

First of all you need a good rod and reel, I always used open face catfish reels and fairly long rods. Find you some sturdy sticks with a V in the top and stick them in the ground to hold the rod. Fish can sense when you have hold of the rod so it's best to prop it up. Go to Walmart, K-mart,etc and get some "fishing bells" to clip on the end of the rod. When a fish bites the bell rings! Catfish will pull on the line several times before they take the bait so watch it for a while, you will know when he strikes, he will pull it down hard.

Also be sure you have some 20 lb line as a big cat can break thin line. When you grab the rod, pull straight up on it to keep the catfish from swimming under logs. They will try to get tangled up to get off the line.Start reeling it in as soon as you pull up on it. Smart fish, huh? Catfish live and breed in and around rocks and logs so catching them is a challenge.

Put a heavy weight on the line also that will keep the bait lying on the bottom as they are bottom feeders. The best bait I've used is chicken livers, that stuff in the stores doesn't work. Cats can smell blood!

Fish early in the morning or around dusk dark, that's when they come out in search of food. Channel cats live mostly in deep water, flatheads live mostly on the bottom.Channel cats are the best kind to eat, silver blue in color, flatheads are muddy looking and ugly!

Beware of your rod at all times as a big cat can take your rod into the water and you'll lose it!

As for other fish, well I tried bass, never had any luck, brim is easy to catch with worms and a bobber.

I haven't been fishing in a long time but still remember the good times I had so have fun, hope you catch a bunch! Marian

I agree with the last post. I have been a bream fisher for over 20 years cause I did not have the patience to sit and wait for a big cat. Once I got the right bait, line, rod and reel, I am hooked. There is no rush like you will get from pulling in a big cat and you don't have to wait a long time in between to get a bite. Just have the right bait. Trust me, chicken livers are best. The do smell and love blood. My knees are knocking every time I get a big one now. I live north of Greensboro, NC next to you and fish Blues Creek Lake. Please feel free to email me if you need any additional help. Hope this helps. Sherry

Fishing Tips and Tricks. Father and Son Fishing Together
Fishing Tips and Photos
Travel and Recreation Recreation FishingJune 11, 2009
Cleaning a Pontoon Boat
Cleaning a Pontoon Boat
Photo of a white fiberglass boat.
Removing Wax From a Boat
Buying a Used Boat, A boat on a trailer.
Buying a Used Boat
Cleaning Boat Seats
Cleaning Boat Seats
🎉
🎄