Choosing a Fast and Affordable High Speed Internet Service

I signed up with AT&T for $25.00 and now they raised it to 28.24. Now they have an offer for high speed, a new lower price, guaranteed for 1 year, for 14.95 per month for 1 year. Up to 3 Mbps. Double the speed for only $5. Does anyone know if 6Mbps is fast enough?

By Irmgard from Port Isabel, TX

Internet speed is never "fast enough". What matters is will it do the job for you. And, can you afford it. I would love to have high speed but my only option is satellite and I can't afford the splurge for high speed. I must tolerate dial up.

It's all relative. Downloading speed is probably your key to the answer. As for my general day-to-day usage, my 750kb works for me and keeps my bill low. It may take 2 minutes instead of 10 seconds to download a particular file, but I'm happy.

Speeds vary according to how many people are in your area with their service, they will tell you it doesn't but it does. Also the speed you think you have does not measure (by experts) the same most of the time, it isn't as fast as you've been told. I used 3Mbps for two years, this year to save money I went to 1Mbps. I have not noticed any difference.

I know I left a comment that's been linked here, but I'm commenting again anyway. Yes, AT&T is raising their rates every time we turn our backs. It's dirty of them, but I'm stuck for now. I just applied for a job with a company that will not hire me if I have digital phone, so TWC is out. Still considering trying someone else's "winback" program, maybe Cincinnati Bell now that I know about their 10-digit-dialing for calls to Cinci from subscribers wherever.

Suntydt, keep plugging away with your dial-up for now. DSL and other high-speed internet connections are bound to come to your area and within your budget, someday.

Well, it depends on what you do with your computer. Are you a gamer? Do you download/upload a lot? Watch videos or movies? I have cable internet and my tray icon tells me I am at 11Mbps. AT&T might have a good rate for one year but what does it increase to after that year is up? You might be paying less now that you would then but then again, you would be saving a little money. If 3Mbps was too slow for you, increasing it by double sounds like a good thing.

October 23, 2010 Flag

I am in need of cheap, good, fast, high speed internet. What do you all use? Thank you. My dial-up is very slow.

By Sarah

Answers:

I use Time Warner, but I had to have them hook the system up. (07/14/2010)

By foxrun41

If you have cell phones for primary access, you can have a data-only line installed for internet and choose the plan you can afford. Plans vary around the country so shop around. (07/14/2010)

By bkvander

I've been with A T & T a little over 3 years now. I have the "Gold Package" with ATT Dish Network (no premium or PPV.) We have 1.5 baude-rate DSL, and unlimited local and long-distance telephone without Canada or international calling. The phone and internet I need for my work-from-home marketing job, the TV package is a bit of a luxury. My bill for all this, bundled, is usually $164/month. I've gotten a bill for about $25 less in the last few months, but since hubby won't read the entire bill to me, I can't tell what made the difference.

My daughter's been trying to "win us back" to Time-Warner. They have Canada included in their regular long-distance phone plan, and their cable internet is 2.0 baude rate. We could get TWC for about $20 less than we're now paying, I'm told. The only thing stopping us from switching today is that their commission structure doesn't reward my daughter properly for a single sale. When they change that, we're going to TWC. (07/14/2010)

By JustPlainJo

I have Verizon DSL. It is not as fast as broadband, but it's fast enough for me. I can send/receive pictures and download videos with no problem. It costs me $20 a month. The package came with everything I needed to do the installation easily myself, even though I am not electronically inclined. (07/15/2010)

By Beth

I have been using Clear Wire. Excellent use. Very reasonable. The plus side is you can unplug take with and get online anywhere. I take my Clear across the state and am able to hook up, no phone calls, no techs. I love it! (07/15/2010)

By eyerishrose

I used Netzero for my dialup and found it faster to get online than any of the larger companies like AOL and MSN. I only got DSL for classes I was taking. DSL is over-rated. (07/15/2010)

By yoder178

I don't know if it's still available, but I got AT&T DSL service for $10/month. It's only like 768kb, but that is certainly faster than the 48kb from my old modem. The hitch was that I was not a present AT&T customer, so I now have AT&T telephone and DSL for $37.98/mo now after 18 months. Their customer service has been 5-star! I think they have the same package for $39.95/mo.
http://dsl-providers.nettop20.com/

For heaven's sake, don't get Charter! A nightmare! (07/15/2010)

By Cajun62234

AT&T has 6 mpbs for 24 dollars a month. That is five times faster than 1.5Mbps and it works great! (07/15/2010)

By kimsukie

Consumer Advice General AdviceOctober 23, 2010
Internet Service Provider
Internet Service Provider Reviews
An upclose photo of a laptop keyboard.
Saving Money on Your Internet Bill
A grandma smiling while using her tablet computer.
Computer and Internet Training for Senior Citizens
Woman Avoiding Fast Food
Avoiding Fast Food
🎄