Covering a Picture Frame with Sand and Shells

I am trying to decorate a plain wooden photo frame with sand and shells collected from a special holiday. I intend on covering the plain wood with sand and then placing the shells on top of the sand. Has anyone got any ideas how this might best be done?

Deb from Cleveland, TN

Best Answer

Hi Deb,

I use Elmer's glue and apply a thin coat with your finger. Drizzle the sand over the glue and allow to dry. Blow off any sand that remains. Apply your shells over the sand using a hot glue gun. They really are lovely when finished. Sharon

Best Answer

I covered a frame with shells using E-6000 (glue). I didn't use sand however-too big a mess! But you might consider putting the sand in a small bottle, and affixing that to the frame.

This is a cute and very creative idea, but you better be prepared for DUST. The dust collects in all the little cracks and crannies of the shells, etc. and in a few months to a year, it starts to look dirty. I've seen shells glued to bathroom mirrors and the combination of dust and steam from the shower made it dirty. So if anyone has any ways to solve the dust problem, I'm sure Deb would appreciate it as well.

To remove dust that will settle on your beautiful sand and shell frame do this: Place an old pantihose sock over the end of your vacuum cleaner. When you turn it on you'll get the dust, not the shells. This works on silk flower arrangements and many other thing as well..

Id hot glue the shells first, as it seems they wouldnt stick to sand as well as to wood.

To avoid dust, I saw a product in the craft store that can cover basically anything. It looks like it's a plastic coating. It's not thrifty but it would solve the dust problem.