Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Installing Flooring on Particle Board

I moved into a house which I am buying. I am living alone except for my critters and recently it has been a challenge. A section of square, pre-glued linoleum came loose from the dining room floor. Then several more loosened and came up. Underneath the flooring appears to be particle board?! It has pieces of sawdust material, and when I swept it, the pieces kept loosening.

What do I do? The flooring pieces say not to put them on top of particle board. The rest of my house has lovely wooden flooring but not this section of the house. Can something be painted over it to seal it and then linoleum or indoor outdoor carpeting put in it? I cannot afford to have a new floor. Advice please?

Thanks so much!
Michele

Best Answers

These answers have been rated the best for this question.

By Nancy (Guest Post)02/14/2009

Cover particle board (once vacuumed and clean) with thin (1/4" or more) plywood (luan). this is a general practice for installing new flooring over ANYTHING lumpy bumpy. Tough and smooth. Make sure the joints are butted well, no gaps.

By Grandma Margie (Guest Post)07/08/2005

My sister-in-law has the same problem. She does not have one "do-it-yourself" bone in her body, yet she chose to rip up old carpeting and then apply self-adhesive tile to her particle board floor! We wish she had asked for our input before doing this project. If it were my project I would have thoroughly swept/vacuumed the floor and then painted it with any oil based enamel type paint or polyurethane. It may have needed two coats to seal it well. Then when it was completely dry I would have applied the tiles. In your case......you can buy and use the adhesive that is used for non-adhesive tile. If you brush or vacuum away all the loose particles it should "stick" them securely. Just don't use too much of the adhesive or it will ooze out between the tile seams and make a mess! You could just "glue" the tiles that are coming loose with the adhesive, or you could see if all the tiles will pop off easily. A spatula or wide putty knife would be good to use for that. If all the tiles are easily lifted you could start at one end of the room and gradually lift, sweep off the loose particles and "glue" each tile down......maybe row by row? That's probably what I'd do as I have more time than I have money! Good Luck on your project.

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By jay (Guest Post)02/15/2007

quick ?
Im installing laminate flooring is a room that has particle board... i was told that the particle board must come up but i could not get a reason why... no one knew..

By Barbara (Guest Post)05/30/2006

I currently have the problem with particle board in my house. I have learned that one should never put particle board under carpet. When I had my carpet pulled up to put vinyl flooring down several areas were bumpy and damaged from moisture. I had wondered what the little piles of sand were that I had felt under my carpet once I had purchase a new vacuum. Well it turned out to be little piles of sand from the particle board. I thought my house was being ate up by carpenter ants or something. Well, when the contractors laid the vinyle down they didn't seal the particule board and laid it over the bumps. It looked terrible. My contractor promised me he would make it right and I have another date set up for him to come out and replace the vinyl and put "luion?" subflooring down on top the particle board. The subflooring is 250$. My question is how in the heck do they get the subflooring to stick to the particle board??? I have been told they would have to put tiny screws in around the "luion" every 6 inches and someone else told me they would have a staple it really close together. I don't think the staples could hold perhaps the little screws would. Then I have come across this information on sealing the particle board with shellac or oil based enamel paint or polyurethane, or even to paste tar paper down over the particle board first. So, I am thinking now perhaps simply replacing the areas where the particle board is water damaged and then sealing the particle board with one of the methods above would be the easiest and best solution. But once the particle board is sealed is it ok to use an adhesive on top of these. Would the sealer and the adheasive (glue) react together eventually to allow the vinyle to come loose. Or, should I go ahead and put the "luion?" subfloor down and then the vinyl on top of that? Is luion the correct subfloor for vinyl?? Would it stick to the particle board if little screws are used? Would it show all the cracks through my vinyl. Help!!! I don't know what to do.""""

By DeLayne. (Guest Post)09/08/2005

I need help on how to get up particle board. I am laying tile over backer board but floor level is too high with particle board in place. Wow,,..it is tough! Any suggestions?

By michele (Guest Post)07/08/2005

Grandma Margie...thank you so much for your timely advice...I will do just as you have suggested. Sincerely, michele