Green Stuff (Moss) on a Cedar Fence

My cedar fence receives no sun and is covered in green moss or something, I want to wash it so that I can stain it this year. What can I use that will kill the green stuff and not hurt my plants? And is there any way to prevent the recurrence of the green stuff?

Marigold from Chicago

You can use a water and bleach solution and a scrub brush. I do not think there is a way to prevent it from coming back. You may want to check with a log home supply center to check if they have a solution that will not harm plants. Good luck!

I use 2 cups white vinegar in a 2 gal. pail of water, apply with sponge, allow penetration, rub with sponge, then hose off. This solution has not harmed the landscape plants.

If it is mold,one part bleach and two parts water will clean it off.If it is algae or moss a product found in the plumbing dept of Home Depot may work.It is called Root Kill by Zep.Also known as blue crystals.Follow directions.The green stuff will eventually return and will have to be treated when it returns.

Will wood ashes change the pH and kill moss?

Home and Garden Home Improvement FencesApril 2, 2006
Cedar Chest
Removing Mothball Odor From a Cedar Chest
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Close up of a lock on a cedar chest.
Restoring a Cedar Chest
Removing Moss from a Roof, Cleaning Moss off Roof
Removing Moss from a Roof