A Color Scheme for My Living Room and Dining Room

My living room and dining room are one big room from the left side of the house to the right side. I want the living room to be a deep brick red and a light vanilla color, with 2 red walls and 2 vanilla walls. What do I do with the ceiling? Leave it white? The dining room I wanted to include the vanilla color and maybe a soft gold color. I need advice! I need these 2 rooms to flow together yet be separate!

By Texas Scorpio from Orange, TX

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Continue the vanilla color across the ceiling in both rooms or use a vanilla/pale gold in both rooms; this would tie the two rooms together. You might consider using a sponge print of the red onto the ceiling edges above the red walls. If you don't think of corners and edges as end lines for color, you can create something very beautiful with these three colors. The red is a strong color and has more "weight" so no more than 1/3 of total surface should be red and the rest in vanilla and gold, but the areas should not be equal for each color. You don't say what you plan for window coverings, floor, furniture and this should also be considered in the areas of color. Have fun.

I suggest all the ceilings done in the vanilla color.

Try doing the ceiling the same vanilla color, because the lighter you go with the ceiling the more space you seem to have, it feels way bigger if you do a light color on the ceiling, and then it will match the walls.

December 27, 2010 Flag

I need help choosing a color scheme for my living room and dining room. The rooms have a 12 foot vaulted ceiling in living room that goes down to a 8 foot ceiling in dining room. My living room furniture is maroon and navy, with Arkansas stone fire place.

Jill from Neosho, MO

Answers:

How about using a light gray for your neutral color. It'll go well with the maroon and navy you already have. You can always lighten up with toss pillows, etc.
This will allow you to lighten up your dining area by going along with the toss pillow colors. (08/06/2006)

By LRP

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Nicely decorated living room.
Living Room Wall Paint Color Advice
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Room Color SchemesDecember 27, 2010
Living Room Colors
Living Room Color Scheme Advice
dining room
Dining Room Paint Color Advice
Photo of a colorful area rug.
Color Advice for Area Rugs
Dining Room Table
Protecting Your Dining Room Table
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 17, 2017 at 1:46:38 PM on 10.0.0.113 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.