Making a Terra Cotta Lighthouse

An inexpensive craft project made with clay pots is a lighthouse for a garden decoration. This is a guide about making a terra cotta lighthouse.

June 9, 2014 Flag

I found the perfect lantern at Ikea to use for this clay pot lighthouse. These cute yard decorations are easy to make!

• candle lantern
  • clay pots (various sizes that stack)
  • primer spray paint
  • outdoor craft paint (I used Patio Paint brand)
  • ruler
  • pencil
  • paint brush
  • E6000 glue (or similar)

1. Spray the clay pots with multiple layers of primer. Add layers and allow to dry according to primer instructions. Spray them in a well ventilated area.
  2. Stack the pots and use a pencil to mark where they overlap. Now you have the area that will show when they are stacked.
  3. Ad
  4. Divide the exposed area into equal sections for the painted stripes. I chose to have 2 red stripes and 2 white stripes. Use a ruler to make marks all the way around the pot, then connect the marks so that you have a guide line for painting.
  5. Related Content(article continues below)
  6. Paint the red areas, allowing to dry in between coats. Apply paint until you have even coverage.
  7. Paint the white areas, allowing paint to dry in between coats. Apply paint until you have even coverage.
  8. Optional: You can spray your painted lighthouse with exterior polyurethane for added protection.
  9. Apply glue to the pots and stack them together. Apply glue to the bottom of the lantern and the top of the clay pot lighthouse base. Attach lantern. Allow glue to dry completely.
  10. Add a candle to the lantern and enjoy your new lighthouse!
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My 87 year old mom thought this would be an easy project to make for her kids and grand kids. It took forever for her to find the pots, paints, and solar lights. Then she nor anyone else in our family could figure out how to remove the tape on the solar battery. She did this all w/o internet (doesn't want to learn), but I was able to help her with the painting and I think they are all ready to go!

July 27, 2009 Flag

Terra Cotta Lighthouse

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This terracotta lighthouse is just 2 large plant pots cemented together and painted, with a lantern on top.

Videos

January 5, 2017 Flag

Make a cute terra cotta pot lighthouse for you garden. Check out this video and learn how easy they are to make!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I love that !!! Absolutly beautiful !

Thanks for this Idea.

Isabelle, from France.

May 13, 2014 Flag

Where can the top of lighthouse be purchased ? It looks like one that is on my lighthouse I purchased from Walmart.

By Liz

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

That's a Rotera tea light holder from ikea. http://m.ikea.c … ts/art/90257982/

Walmart

May 16, 2014 Flag

What kind of cement is used to put the pots together?

By Brenda from Morristown, TN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You can stick just about anything to anything with E6000 glue avail in craft and home improvement stores. It comes clear, black or white so be sure to get the color you prefer.

July 20, 2014 Flag

How did you make the windows on the terra cotta lighthouse?

By M. Campbell from Front Royal, VA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I did mine free hand but you could use a template.

What did you do to make the windows

June 7, 2014 Flag

What kind of paint do you use for the lighthouse? Is it spray paint, as last time I painted a terra cotta pot with a paint brush it was all streaky. Any ideas on how to paint it so it is even and has not got the streak lines?

By Wendy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I used Folk Art multi-surface paint. It states that it can be used on terra cotta. Use a good quality brush to minimize streaking. Multiple coats of spray acrylic coating will pretty much hide the streaks. I ordered light house tops from Target (lighthouse tea light holders). Good Luck!

Make sure your paint is colder than what you are painting even if you have to put it in the fridge. It should result in a streak-free finish.

July 14, 2015 Flag

What do you use for the base of the 5 pot lighthouse please? Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try a red clay plate like the kind that u put red clay pots on, but I would think you would want it slightly larger than the bottom pot of the lighthouse and glue the whole thing in the center of it, either with the plate upside down or right side up.

It does look like a larger saucer upside down painted Black!

June 4, 2014 Flag

Are you sure its just two large terra cotta pots? looks like more to me.

By Janet T

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The directions are for using 2 pots. The picture at the very top of the page uses 5 pots. I think you can use as many pots as you want per your taste :)

What size pots do you use to make the 5ft tall lighthouse??

May 29, 2014 Flag

Could you possibly use a solar path light, that looks like a lantern, for the &"topper"?

By Tray J. from Dannemora, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've been making lighthouses out of clay pots since '85 and always used the regular solar lights for the top. Recently I did see on the internet where someone bought the lanterns but was going to use a candle with it. If you can find the solar lanterns that fit the size of your top pot's bottom, go for it. Would love to hear how it turned out and your resource for the lanterns.

I found a box of 6 at Home Depot for $18 that fit perfectly on a 4" saucer.

August 6, 2014 Flag

Has anyone had a problem with the weight of 3 or 4 pots stacked on each other breaking the ones below them?

By Nina W

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I made lighthouses stacking 3 pot with no breaking problems. I would feel ok doing 4.

I did one 4 pots high with no problem.

July 4, 2015 Flag

What sizes of pots do you recommend for making this feature? The pots that I have looked at stack too low down on each other.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can place small blocks of wood, plastic, etc., between the pots so that they can stack as whatever size you prefer.

August 8, 2014 Flag

What kind of lantern did you attach to the light house? How do you connect the pots together for the pot heads?

By Deborah from Perrysburg, OH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Looks like an IKEA lantern.

July 5, 2014 Flag

What is used for the fencing at the top of the large lighthouse?

By Juanita

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Some one was wanting to know where to get fencing for light houses. Hobby lobby sells these in 3 different sizes.

June 8, 2014 Flag

Why do you have to use cement, why couldn't you use Gorilla glue?

By Debbie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Any glue that works for outside use is fine.

May 24, 2014 Flag

What type of paint do you use for the clay pots? Should you use two different sizes of pots?

By Ellie G.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A spray primer is a good idea. They make craft acrylic paint that is for outdoor projects. I found it at Joann's. Yes...it is best to use pots that get progressively smaller in size.

May 2, 2015 Flag

What size clay pots are used to make the large terra cotta light house -using 5 pots?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 25, 2015 Flag

Has anyone ever cut the bottom of the pot out so the "lighthouse" can fit over a well cap?

By DT

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Finished Clay Pot Angel
Clay Pot Craft Projects
Crafts Garden & Yard Yard ArtMay 1, 2014
Broken terra cotta planter used to retain garden plant.
Reusing Terra Cotta Planters
terra cotta flower pot person
Crafts Using Terra Cotta Flower Pots
Terra cotta bunny candy dish.
Making a Clay Pot Easter Bunny Candy Dish
Christmas topiary
Making a Miniature Christmas Topiary Tree
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 21, 2017 at 6:22:43 AM on 10.0.0.44 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.