Removing Wood Stain from Clothing

Category Stains
Applying Wood Stain
If stain gets on clothes when you are tinting wood, it can be difficult to remove. This guide is about removing wood stain from clothing.

Is there a way I can remove dark wood stain from my cotton sweatshirt after it has set? I have washed it, not dried it, and tried acetone, the stain set before I could try to remove it immediately :( It was MinWax woodstain that unfortunately hit my sweatshirt.

By Bri

Anonymous

How to remove smoke stains from clothes.

You can use mineral spirits on a q-tip or paper towel. But try it on the inseam of the article of clothing because it can cause discoloration to the clothing.

How do I get wood stain out of clothes?

By Reba from Round Rock, TX

Answer Was this helpful? 1

How do you get wood stain out of blue jeans? We were staining a desk and I got stain on my new blue jeans.

Trista from Brinington, WA

You don't, these are now your painting clothes.

Try nail polish remover.

I mistakenly picked up a wooden table that I had stained before the stain was fully dry. Now I have a light but noticeable stain on the front of my khaki pants. Any ideas on if this can be removed and if so, how?

By Shirley F

How do I get wood stain out of clothing? One spot has penetrated the fabric and another is where the fabric rubbed against the almost dry stained wood.

By herron.pj

How do I remove wood stain from a shirt that has already been washed once? I read the responses to a similar question, but I didn't realize that the stain was on the shirt until I had already washed and dried the shirt. Is it still possible to get the stain out with the mineral spirits? Help!

Thanks.

By Morgan

I have Minwax oil base stain on off white pants. the stain is not heavy duty but you can see it. What will remove it?

Joyce

Jpcasino17@aol.com thr816882

I need to find a way if possible to remove brown wood stain from my son's brand new high school hoodie.

Sue in ME

Answers:

Removing Wood Stain from Clothing

You didn't say if it was oil-based or water based stain. That makes a difference. Do you know?

If it's water based, try regular (not for false nails) but regular old-fashioned fingernail polish remover. But before you try it, do it in a place you can't see, like the inside on the hem first and never use fingernail polish remover on acetate fabric or it will melt it.

If it's oil-based, try mineral spirits (just like above). Make sure you apply it, wait several minutes, then blot with a clean washcloth. If it looks like it's working, then repeat it several times until clean. Whatever you do, do "not" put it in the dryer or iron until you totally remove the stain or the heat will set it for good.

If you try one of the above, be sure to wash the garment really, really well otherwise it will be flammable if someone drops a match on it, etc. (12/30/2008)

By Cyinda

Removing Wood Stain from Clothing

Mommy was a hero! The mineral spirits worked wonderfully to remove oil-based wood stain from a 100% polyester futbol jersey (Barcelona). It also had water-based paint on it. I chose to use the mineral spirits first to treat the wood stain by simply pouring a little on each spot and let it sit or apply more until it faded. I then washed in cold with regular laundry detergent.

After that, I went to work on the paint by scrubbing with an abrasive soap bar I have (called Hog Wash) that is for scrubbing clothes. Using that and warm-hot water, the paint came out too. One more wash as normal and you can't tell it was ever stained. Thanks a ton. (07/05/2009)

By mshumaker

Removing Wood Stain from Clothing

The posts above were amazing.

Mineral Spirits (aka paint thinner) worked like a charm. After a little bit of scrubbing and a wash in the delicate cycle on cold, the wood stain completely disappeared from my woven cotton dress. I did, however, repeat the process of applying the mineral spirits for several minutes, rubbing the stain with a clean wet wash cloth, and then rinsing off the mineral spirits.

I also found that the brush on the top of the Shout (stain remover) container worked really well to work out the stain. Any brush, though, will suffice.

This was a fabulous tip, but you must be careful, as mineral spirits is highly flammable. (08/27/2009)

By Nomester

I have got brown wood stain on my brand new jeans. Any idea how to get it out? It has been through the wash two times and won't come out!

Daniel from Ipswich, Eng

Answers:

Wood Stain on Jeans

Try rubbing alcohol. (05/23/2007)

Wood Stain on Jeans

If it is more like paint, try paint thinner then Ultra Dawn dish detergent, and scrub with the end of a spoon until gone. If more like oil stain, try WD 40, then use Ultra Dawn to remove all. Rinse very well. Hope this works for you. God bless you. (05/27/2007)

By Lynda

How or what could i use to get Minwax wood finish out of clothing?

Linda

Answers:

Removing Miniwax Wood Finish From Clothing

Is it an oily type stain? If so, a friend at work swears by lighter fluid (like the kind you use in barbeque.) Just be sure to wash out all the residue with lots of detergent full strength. You don't want to have any left since it's flamable. Hope this works. (12/29/2004)

By Jill