LaundryCleaning

Steam Iron Leaving Black Streaks on Clothing

Category Laundry

How can I clean the inside of my steam iron. It is putting a black streak on my white shirts. Help

Charlie Tucker

its probably the type of water that u are using, try using purified water. Also I think that the food stores sell a cleaner for that purpose.

Pour some vinegar into it, then steam iron an old towel. Rinse several times with clean water, then steam iron the same towel to make sure you have all of the vinegar out.

The best way to get black marks off your iron is to put some salt on a sheet of aluminum foil. Set your iron to the higest setting then run your iron across the salted foil in a circular motion. The marks come right off.

The salt on aluminum foil did NOT work. I still recommend Faultless Iron cleaner if you can find it!

Thanks - the salt and aluminum foil did the trick. Don't give up - it takes some time, just keep ironing the salt!!!

Use only purified water in your iron, any grocery store carries it in the water section. A gallon goes a long way. If you use a spray bottle fill it with purified water too.

For years now I have had problems with irons intermittently spitting out some kind of black liquid onto shirts while I am ironing. It happens when I am either steam ironing or not.

I have changed irons many times, but eventually it happens again.The stains, sometimes a whole spray of them are impossible to remove and I have to throw the shirt away. It is very distressing. It seems to defy logic. The stains appear on the ironing board cover as well and look like black used oil or small black ink stains.

Any solutions ?

By Dom C.

Do you empty out all the water after each use? How often do you clean out the iron as per the manual instructions? It's important to keep the tank clean if not this will continue to happen.

It could be your water, too. Do you ever have spots on clothing fresh from the washing machine? Hard water will do that.

I only used distilled water in my iron and never have a problem. Got spots like you mention once after using an iron in a hotel room to press a shirt. I assume it was because only tap water was available.

Just finished a quilt. When ironing, black streaks. I cleaned iron with vinegar. I soaked quilt in borax. All streaks were gone after soaking for 30 minutes.