Problems Removing Bathroom Wall Tile

I am removing tile from the bathroom wall. I have discovered a 1 to 1 1/2 inch concrete backing behind the tile. I have been trying to break it up with a hammer and flatbar, but I'm not having much luck. I feel like I'm in prison trying to break out, but at the rate I'm going I will be serving a life sentence. Does anybody have a better idea?

By Alabama Housewife from Hartford, AL

Best Answer

The project you have chosen is a lot of work. It is unlikely that you will be able to remove the tile and not remove the Portland concrete backing. You will find that it is attached to the wall by steel lath nailed to the studs. Cut around the edge and try to remove in one piece by prying with a crow bar. Be careful as this chunk of concrete will weigh a hundred pounds or more.

Best of luck ! Rygobus

Are you sure that concrete backing is suppose to be removed? Perhaps talk to someone at a tile store to find out.