Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Prevent Wasps From Building a Nest

How do I keep wasps from building a nest each year under my wood deck?

By RSJ from Olds, AB

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Linda05/05/2010

I use Formula 409 (a kitchen cleaner) to keep wasps from building a nest. Just spray them and the nest with it and it not only kills the wasp, it prevents any others from trying to build a nest in the same spot. Works every time. Good luck.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Prevent Wasps From Building a Nest

What can I do to prevent wasps from building a nest in my BBQ grill?

Wasps from Northern, Illinois

RE: Prevent Wasps From Building a Nest

Is this one of those big hearths? Or a little (regular) one? If it is the big permanent grill stove (like made of stone) you could do some landscaping around the back of it (not in front of the hearth) to accommodate wasp repelling plants, or one had a suggestion for hanging a balled-up paper sack to imitate a nest. Keeping away from homes: http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf731619.tip.html Natural Repellants: http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf813198.tip.html

Good luck and let us know how you do. (06/09/2006)

By camo_angels

RE: Prevent Wasps From Building a Nest

Don't know if this will help in your situation, but my hubby always sprays WD 40 where ever wasps are building a nest and they vanish. I don't know why, but they pack up and go. (07/11/2006)

By prgal

Is there a way to deter wasps from building behind vinyl siding? Mud daubers and wasps continually go behind the vinyl through all the cracks.

By KCC from Canton, NC

RE: Prevent Wasps From Building a Nest

We had an area last year in our siding by our hot tub where wasps did the same thing. It was just a small area, so I sealed it with clear latex caulk. This year they did not return. (07/30/2009)

By mom-from-missouri

RE: Prevent Wasps From Building a Nest

They do this with our wood slat siding, as well. I can only imagine sealing the whole house in spray on rubber. Not joking, they are really bad. And the carpenter bees can be so single minded they will check a 5x10 area over and over and over, trying to find a crack they can fit in. They can't, but the hornets, wasps and mud daubers are everywhere and seem to be getting worse. I put hornet traps out a couple years back, but they're pricey, messy and upset the natural balance of our planet, which is in enough trouble as it is.

So what to do for large areas? Our house is 750sq foot, with a detached garage. Not worried about the garage, it's a stack of cards, but the house is solid and they like it way too much. (07/30/2009)

By nekocat