Prevent Wasps From Building a Nest

By RSJ 1

How do I keep wasps from building a nest each year under my wood deck?

By RSJ from Olds, AB

Filter Sort

By Linda 1 25 Flag

I use Formula 409 (a kitchen cleaner) to keep wasps from building a nest. Just spray them and the nest with it and it not only kills the wasp, it prevents any others from trying to build a nest in the same spot. Works every time. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Archive: Prevent Wasps From Building a Nest

What can I do to prevent wasps from building a nest in my BBQ grill?

Wasps from Northern, Illinois

Feedback:

RE: Prevent Wasps From Building a Nest

Is this one of those big hearths? Or a little (regular) one? If it is the big permanent grill stove (like made of stone) you could do some landscaping around the back of it (not in front of the hearth) to accommodate wasp repelling plants, or one had a suggestion for hanging a balled-up paper sack to imitate a nest.
Keeping away from homes: http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf731619.tip.html
Natural Repellants: http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf813198.tip.html

Good luck and let us know how you do. (06/09/2006)

By camo_angels

RE: Prevent Wasps From Building a Nest

Don't know if this will help in your situation, but my hubby always sprays WD 40 where ever wasps are building a nest and they vanish. I don't know why, but they pack up and go. (07/11/2006)

By prgal

Is there a way to deter wasps from building behind vinyl siding? Mud daubers and wasps continually go behind the vinyl through all the cracks.

By KCC from Canton, NC

Feedback:

RE: Prevent Wasps From Building a Nest

We had an area last year in our siding by our hot tub where wasps did the same thing. It was just a small area, so I sealed it with clear latex caulk. This year they did not return. (07/30/2009)

By mom-from-missouri

RE: Prevent Wasps From Building a Nest

They do this with our wood slat siding, as well. I can only imagine sealing the whole house in spray on rubber. Not joking, they are really bad. And the carpenter bees can be so single minded they will check a 5x10 area over and over and over, trying to find a crack they can fit in. They can't, but the hornets, wasps and mud daubers are everywhere and seem to be getting worse. I put hornet traps out a couple years back, but they're pricey, messy and upset the natural balance of our planet, which is in enough trouble as it is.

So what to do for large areas? Our house is 750sq foot, with a detached garage. Not worried about the garage, it's a stack of cards, but the house is solid and they like it way too much. (07/30/2009)

By nekocat

Home and Garden Pest Control Bees & WaspsMay 4, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Wasp on Vespiary
Getting Rid of Wasps
Repelling Hornets, Bumble Bees, and Wasps
A wasp's nest in the corner of a roof.
Keeping Wasps Away From Your Home
Garden Pond
Building a Garden Pond
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 8:00:11 AM on 10.0.2.64 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

AnswersArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings