Brightening Cabinet Finish Without Stripping

Does anyone have a way to make dark kitchen cupboards with an antique finish look brighter? I don't want to strip, but they are way too dark for the small area. Any hints will be welcome. I have noticed a good hard scrub in some areas would take the paint down to the original wood.

By Jackie from VT

Have you thought about painting them? It's a bit of work, but can totally change the room. Here's a good link with details:

http://www.oldhouseweb.com/how-to-advice/painting-kitchen-cabinets.shtml

In this link Allison, they suggest using oil paint. That is a good one to use to have it hold but it is messy to work with, especially if you have a lot of cabinets. In the article they said acrylic paint does not hold up as well. In articles I have read, they said that is what you should use because it holds up better. So probably be better to ask at a reputable dealer. I am trying to get up the gumption to paint my own but I have so many that it seems daunting.

Home and Garden Home Improvement KitchenJanuary 28, 2011
Cabinet Door
Keeping Cabinet Doors From Slamming Shut
Filling Holes in Cabinet Doors
Filling Holes in Cabinet Doors
Bungalow style kitchen cabinet with glass paned doors.
Cleaning Glass Doors on Wood Furniture
Japanese beetle eating a leaf.
Getting Rid of Japanese Beetles
🎄