AdviceCleaning

Cleaning a Rice Filled Pillow

I have one of those pillows with rice in it that you can use for sore muscles, etc. I bought it second hand and it smells like cigarette smoke. I can't wash it because of the rice, and can't use Febreze or anything because it is heated in the microwave and I don't want skin rashes. Any suggestions on taking the smell out of it?

By blueflye from ID

I'd rip a tiny bit of the stitching out, empty the old rice out, wash the cover, refill with new rice and stitch closed.

Throw it away. Make a new one or buy a new one.

You can try sticking it a paper bag with lots of baking soda and give it a good shake-shake-shake. Let sit for a while and shake off the excess to see if smell remains. (Maybe run the vacuum hose over it, too) This "dry bath" works wonders for lots of items that can't be soaked or washed in water, such as stuffed animals. Non-toxic, too!

You can make your own by using a large or small sock and filling it with rice and tying a knot in it. I either microwave it for around one minute or freeze it for boo boos. Every so often I pour the rice out and wash the sock, then pour the rice back in.

Hope this helps!

I don't know of a way to clean the rice pillow, but I have made several of them. Just take a mens tube sock, fill it with about a pound of long cooking rice, fold it so the rice it pushed to one end and sew the fold shut. It's easy and inexpensive. Good luck!

I would try this: empty the rice out. Spread the rice out on a cookie sheet and place it outside in the hot sun. Stir it around once in a while. After a couple days it might not smell. Wash the cloth case. Put the rice back in the case and sew shut. Hopefully this might work.

Put it in the sun or buy a new one. Spray on fresheners (so-called) mask odor ONLY through a two part process by reducing the volatility of odor molecules so they cannot be smelled. Spraying fabric softener, etc, will not accomplish the same thing but WILL cause a build up of gunk in your house, and make fabric harder to clean properly. Ditto for oils, etc. Febreze is not a cleaner, even the makers don't make this claim.

Sunshine is the best smell eliminator there is! Put your Rice Pillow out in bright sunlight and the smells will be gone. No need to buy another one. I've used this treatment for many thrift store buys that had lingering cigarette/cigar smoke on them and it always works.

My sister bought me one because of my back and leg pain. Over a yr ago. I throw it in my washer on gentle cycle. Hang it to dry. NEVER had a problem. Nice and clean, smells good. My best friend  every morning when I get up and am hurting. Have refilled it with rice once. Getting ready to refill it again and cross stitch by hand. My daddy always said if at first u do not succeed, try try again. Lol (maybe in different ways. ) good luck