BirdsPets

Hatching Wild Finch Eggs

Category Birds

I have enjoyed watching Finches in my yard until today, when a Blue Jay (I think) tore the nest apart. I shooed it away, but there are three eggs left which the Jay wouldn't leave alone. I brought them inside.

Should I put them under a light bulb, and if they hatch, what should I feed them, and can I let them go when they're grown? My neighbor said to let the Jay have them, but I just couldn't.

By mahala77 from Eugene, OR

Your best bet would be one of 2 things. Either buy a pair of finches so they can take care of the eggs and hatchlings, or take the eggs to a local reputable pet shop that has finches and let them put the eggs in with their birds. Unfortunately it's probably already too late to save the eggs. If they aren't kept warm and turned, they won't survive for long.

If this ever happens again, the best thing to do is put them in a box, with a towel to protect them and immediately get them to wildlife rehab center.