Hatching Finch Eggs

Category Birds
This is a guide about hatching finch eggs. Finches are known to be prolific egg layers, but that of course does not guarantee that you will have viable eggs. Here is some advice if you are finding that none of the eggs are hatching.

They should hatch at around 14 days. But only when you start counting the time after the last egg is laid and when mom finch starts sitting on them. The countdown of when they will hatch does not commence at laying but at the beginning of incubation. After five days incubation, you can candle them and look for veins. If the eggs don't show veining or spidery lines, they are not viable or dead eggs.

Source: Here is an excellent resource regarding finch eggs and their care. http://gouldianfinch.info/breeding/eggs.htm

I have 3 males and 1 female zebra finch. The female bird laid some 20-25 eggs in the last 6 months, but not a single one has hatched to date. All the eggs were thrown out by the bird after few weeks. Please let me know what should be done so that the eggs can be hatched.

By Hridi

Answers

I find that if you have more females than you do males, the fertilization seems to be better, and have many nesting places for them available. They seem very picky to me. All I give them for nexting material is soft dried grass and cut up soft cotton, from an old tshirt, cut into 5 inch strips by about 1/4 inch wide... they love it.

I had a pair of finches, that laid 6 eggs. It has been 20 days and none of them hatched. Can I assume that they will not hatch or is it because the temperature is very high in our state?

By Arun Kumar