Miss Angel Diane (Basset Hound)

Miss Angel Diane is a 9 year old Basset Hound (full blooded). Our family bought our basset for my daughter's 5th birthday from a breeder in Bath, Maine. She was the runt of her litter with big ears and a heart shape white spot on her head. We all smiled and feel in love with her immediately. This was in May 2002.

Soon after we adopted her, we received a phone call from the breeder; Angel happen to be one of three females in the litter and we lived near by. The breeder's family experienced a house fire 3 days after we picked Angel up (she was still nursing due to size and all the others had been adopted out). This happened to be a long winter in Maine and their furnace caught fire. The amount of damage was horrible, but the worst was the death of Angel's mother (which was the first basset hound this family owned). Our breeder politely asked if we had fixed Angel yet? Although we had an appointment made, we had not done it. As she explained to us what had happened and then apologized because all of Angel's papers were in the fire. We were sympathetic and felt horrible; we were not worried about her papers. She explained to us how she was happy all the pups were safe, and how Angel looked remarkably like her mother, (fawn and white). She asked us if we would be interested in letting Angel have a litter of pups? They offered to do all the work and pay all expenses along with the sale of her liter and give us the profit, if they could keep a pup. Touching as it was, how could we say no. We knew it was the least we could do and she offered to teach me more about this amazing breed.

However, Miss Angel had other ideas and did not want any part of this plan. She was not having it, no matter what we did! Although she never had a litter, she is a mother at heart because after 4 years of trying, we rewarded her with an 12 week old playmate - a Chihuahua (Sophia). For some reason, she loves playing with small dogs. Miss Angel has raised her as her own and Sophia is now 4 years old and thinks she is a Basset Hound. She shows so much respect to her mother, Miss Angel.

Miss Angle loves to roll over on her back and have her belly rubbed. She even gives a smile if you say, "Show me your teeth?" She is an amazing addition to our family.

By Leianda M.

She's a beautiful basset! I had a full blooded basset, the same colors,too. Her name was Ashley Melony Wilkes, but we called her Melony. I fell for her because she ran down a hill to meet us, and tripped over her ears and rolled to my feet! I only had her 5 years, but they were wonderful years.

Give her a special belly rub for me!

Denise

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Beautiful dog. I have never owned a Basset Hound, but had a beautiful little Shi Tzu who we named Sweetie (sweetheart) because she had a white heart in the middle of her forehead just like Angel does. When I saw that I just had to vote for her! LOL

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Awww. She is just adorable. I don't blame her for not wanting kids. lol But my heart really goes out to the people that lost her mother, that was tragic. I hope they are doing much better now and have another fur baby in their home to love. My neighbor has a basset named "John Henry" and he is the neighborhood mayor, we just adore him. Thank you for sharing this beautiful picture of your beloved Angel.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

How sad about Miss Angel Diane's mother and how fortunate the family wasn't hurt. Don't sweat about the papers, they can be replaced if they need to be.

Many years ago I used to show Basset Hounds in Obedience and talk about an adventure. Did you know there are 28 different versions of Basset Hounds. My Daisy was an Artisan Basset which basically means she didn't have the super long ears like Yogi had.

They've been gone several years but when ever I see someone with their own Basset, it definitely makes me smile. There's just something about their personalities that just make them really, really special. Sophia is one lucky gal to have such a wonderful big sister.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Sweet Baby. Glad she never had puppies, too many dogs in shelters, don't add to them.

Reply Like this photo? Yes