Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Using Borax Instead of Bleach

When washing whites, use borax rather than bleach to whiten. Bleach can cause yellowing if used a great deal and will eat holes in your clothes after a number of uses. I find Borax is a better whitening agent for the fabrics I wear.

By Walker

Recent Feedback

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Ranter (Guest Post)07/26/2008

Lulo, actually HE detergent is WEAKER than regular detergent. This is because front-loading washers depend on forcing the water and detergent through the clothing fibres as it tumbles, rather than on any sort of sudsing action. And since they use less water than conventional washers (about a third), the detergent must be weaker for this reason as well. However, this doesn't mean you can just cut the amount of your regular detergent and keep using it. Even small amounts of regular detergent cause some sudsing; this sudsing action actually works against getting your clothes clean in a front-loader. Use a good HE detergent (Tide is the best) and if you wish to add Borax, use half or one third the normal amount. Since a half cup is the usual amount for a conventional washer, use at most one quarter cup of Borax along with your HE detergent. Also remember that Borax's oxygenating (bleaching) action works better at warmer temps, so use warm water.

By Judi (Guest Post)07/05/2008

Will using Borax on a black rayon dress cause the black to fade?

By lulo (Guest Post)03/23/2008

I bought a new washing machine where I can use only HE laundry detergent.It uses much less watter, so the detergent has to be strong.I don't like that, but manufacturers are warning against using something else. I would like to switch to smtg natural for environmental and health reasons. Does smbd knows, if I can use Borax, vinegar, peroxide, washing soda in my new machine and also which natural laundry detergent I could use there?Thank you.

By Working Mom (Guest Post)09/10/2007

My daughter wears a white uniform shirt but it has a navy trim on the collar and the sleeves. How can I whiten it, since I can't use bleach?

By (Guest Post)05/28/2007

how does borax remove stains

By Willem (Guest Post)08/20/2006

Can I use borax with washing powder that already contains whitening agents?

Editor's Note: It should be fine. Borax doesn't have any whitening agents but it really just boosts the cleaning and picks up odors.

By 1bigmama [1]08/19/2006

I also agree. Not only do I use borax in my wash I will use baking soda and white vinegar in my wash also, and my laundry is the better for it. I often will soak my white clothes in the machine with the detergent and the other stuff and my white clothes are beautiful. I buy borax by the boxes and store them in an old cat liter container. I do the same with the baking soda and scoop out as I need to.ANother thing that I do with borax and baking soda is sprinkle some on my carpet one hour or so before I vacuum and it does wonders it keeps my house smelling fresh and clean not perfumey.

By Molly (Guest Post)05/07/2006

Is this like a color safe bleach alternative this borax?

By Susan Sanders-Kinzel [9]12/07/2004

Hi,
I've found borax at the grocery store, WalMart and other places in the laundry section. I haven't seen any at Costco and we don't have a Sam's Club nearby and don't know about BJs but it is readily available at nearly all grocery stores. It's usually near the Borateem and non chlorine bleach products. I use it a lot. It's a great additive for laundry or any home made cleaning product.
Susan from ThriftyFun

By Kayla [3]12/07/2004

I am a bleach fiend and have recently been searching frugal tips. I actually have found borax in some homemade cleaners recipes. Do yu know if they have this at places like Sam's or BJ's, costco?

By renee (Guest Post)11/28/2004

I totally agree. I've been using Borax instead of bleach with whites for a couple of years now, and I definitely prefer it. The clothes are very white, soft, and have a fresh smell......no residual bleach smell. I even put Borax in with heavily soiled colored clothes. It only takes about 1/2 cup Borax per load.

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to post feedback.