Can I Give My Dog Canned Soup?

By Crystal 1

Can I give my dog canned soup? For example Habitant beef, chicken, or vegetable soup. Maybe giving 5 or 6 tablespoons and mix with the 2 cups of dry food I give her.

Crystal from Toronto, Canada

Showing: Answers Sort

By Judi 18 938 Flag

If you can eat it USUALLY your dog can eat it (exceptions exist: chocolate, grapes, others). However, dog food is formulated for a dog and people soup may not have what a dog needs. As a supplement to dog food it is probably fine except that the dog is not stupid and may prefer this to regular food and stop eating his own food to try to hold out until you supply more of the desired food. ie: soup He/she may attempt to "train" you to drop the dog food and only give the soup. Many years experience with dogs and in a veterinary office has shown me this is possible. Just a thought...

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Due to high salt content, I would not give a dog canned soup of any kind. It will cause major kidney problems in the future, which can lead to kidney failure. If you want to add veggies, just add raw or boile ones (but stay away from onions, potatoes)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I agree about the salt. There are to many human foods you can give to them to resort to canned/processed human foods. And I'll clarify that any pure, lean & good foods that we eat can usually be eaten by dogs. If you search this site lots of people have given examples like carrots, apples, bananas, natural popcorn, lettuce, green beans, peas, chicken, pb, yogurt etc.

I posted a link to a site that tells you exactly what ingredients to look for in a dog's food. Just search for pet or dog food. If you can't find it I can supply it again. You didn't tell us why your dog isn't eating the dry food. Maybe she doesn't like it. That means you need to buy a better food. It will be better for her health too.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Kim Churchman 3 1,277 Flag

Waaaay too much salt, so thin it down with rice, oatmeal, or so on. Best not to use it for dogs at all!!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Cyinda 214 1,287 Flag

As far as the salt content goes, this is what I do for my cat: I go to a Health Food Store or the area of a grocery store that sells "Specialty Foods" (usually for diabetics) & there you will find a NO sodium chicken broth, or at least LOW sodium chicken or beef broth that you can give to your dog. If you DO decide to give your dog regular canned soup, MAKE SURE the soup says LOW SODIUM or "Healthy Choice" on it, but, NO SODIUM at all is SO MUCH better for pets, & if you choose to give him anything with salt in it at all, make sure to provide extra clean drinking water for him!

* Beware of things like "Beef Jerky" for pets or humans, as these things are just LOADED with salt!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Pets Dogs AdviceMay 20, 2008
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
10 Can Soup
Ten Can Soup Recipes
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
Carving a Turkey
Using Your Turkey Bones for Soup
Opening a can of condensed soup.
Cooking With Canned Condensed Soup
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 9:54:41 PM on 10.0.2.127 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings