Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Can I Give My Dog Canned Soup?

Can I give my dog canned soup? For example Habitant beef, chicken, or vegetable soup. Maybe giving 5 or 6 tablespoons and mix with the 2 cups of dry food I give her.

Crystal from Toronto, Canada

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Cyinda [214]05/25/2008

As far as the salt content goes, this is what I do for my cat: I go to a Health Food Store or the area of a grocery store that sells "Specialty Foods" (usually for diabetics) & there you will find a NO sodium chicken broth, or at least LOW sodium chicken or beef broth that you can give to your dog. If you DO decide to give your dog regular canned soup, MAKE SURE the soup says LOW SODIUM or "Healthy Choice" on it, but, NO SODIUM at all is SO MUCH better for pets, & if you choose to give him anything with salt in it at all, make sure to provide extra clean drinking water for him!

* Beware of things like "Beef Jerky" for pets or humans, as these things are just LOADED with salt!

By Kim Churchman [3]05/23/2008

Waaaay too much salt, so thin it down with rice, oatmeal, or so on. Best not to use it for dogs at all!!

By Me (Guest Post)05/23/2008

I agree about the salt. There are to many human foods you can give to them to resort to canned/processed human foods. And I'll clarify that any pure, lean & good foods that we eat can usually be eaten by dogs. If you search this site lots of people have given examples like carrots, apples, bananas, natural popcorn, lettuce, green beans, peas, chicken, pb, yogurt etc.

I posted a link to a site that tells you exactly what ingredients to look for in a dog's food. Just search for pet or dog food. If you can't find it I can supply it again. You didn't tell us why your dog isn't eating the dry food. Maybe she doesn't like it. That means you need to buy a better food. It will be better for her health too.

By (Guest Post)05/23/2008

Due to high salt content, I would not give a dog canned soup of any kind. It will cause major kidney problems in the future, which can lead to kidney failure. If you want to add veggies, just add raw or boile ones (but stay away from onions, potatoes)

By Judi [17]05/20/2008

If you can eat it USUALLY your dog can eat it (exceptions exist: chocolate, grapes, others). However, dog food is formulated for a dog and people soup may not have what a dog needs. As a supplement to dog food it is probably fine except that the dog is not stupid and may prefer this to regular food and stop eating his own food to try to hold out until you supply more of the desired food. ie: soup He/she may attempt to "train" you to drop the dog food and only give the soup. Many years experience with dogs and in a veterinary office has shown me this is possible. Just a thought...