Cleaning Piano Keys

I just got an old piano and there is some gunk, like old stickers on some of the keys. How do I clean this off? I can't use Goo Gone because of the ivory keys, correct?

By Kathi from Montgomery, AL

I think the ivory can take it. I would try the Goo Gone or if you are really paranoid about that stuff try some Simple Green. Spray it on and let it soak, then clean it off. I used to buy Simple Green at my local automotive store like Pep Buys, High Gear, Advanced Auto or Auto Zone. Any of them should have it.

In days gone by we used mayonaise to clean ivory keys.

Whatever you use, don't spray it on as the excess leaks down between the keys into the piano. Wipe anything on with a soft cloth and use sparingly. Doing this 2 or 3 times is better than having the excess ruin the inner workings and the wood!

Piano Keys
Cleaning Piano Keys
Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousNovember 15, 2010
Piano Keyboard
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors From a Piano
Tuning Piano
Odor Coming from Piano Keys After Tuning
Various keys hanging from hooks.
Organizing Keys
Ring of old keys.
Uses for Old Keys