Learn Cake Decorating Online

I'm in my early 60's and smart enough to know that if I took a course at my age, it would take me longer to catch on now than when I was younger. About two years ago, I purchased a paperback book entitled "Cake Decorating For Dummies" and I also bought some cake pans from estate sales. And last but not least I bought a set of decorating tips from eBay.

When I was a young woman I've had a desire to learn cake decorating but didn't have the extra money to spend on supplies or even money to pay for the classes.

So in January 2010 I made up my mind to learn at my own pace. I found numerous cake decorating videos on YouTube. I watched a video on ehow, and just learned how to pipe my very first rose using a flower nail, and I also learned how to do a basket weave.

An advantage of watching the videos is that I can be very selective in choosing my instructor. Use the bottom of a cake pan to practice doing borders and flowers, then scrape off the frosting and refill the pastry bag. I changed the tips and learned each of their functions and what they are used for. I threw the practice frosting in the garbage and I'm now ready to start cake decorating. If I can learn at my age, any one can learn.

Cake Decorating Video Links:

By MCW from Lewiston, NY

Wow - What a great idea! I love this! I will be 50 next month and have always admired all the beautifully decorated cakes made by others. Thanks for sharing this!

Great post! But--just being a couple of years younger than you ( and still learning something new every day)--just have to tell you that you're selling your brainpower short. Check out this article at AARP:

http://www.aarp.org/health/brain/ag ... myths_about_aging_and_the_brain.html

Basically, it states that we assume the brainpower lessens as we age; we've all heard the myth so much that unfortunately, as many of us age we use that as an excuse not to try to learn something new.

Older doesn't mean the brain cells automatically go--but, as with anything else--if you don't use it, you'll lose it.

I am a self taught cake decorator and if you have any questions send me an email! I'll be happy to do what I can to help in any way. This is my passion! I am a nurse by trade and make special cakes as a hobby for friends and family. My email is glassangel AT charter.net

You are never too old to learn. I will be 65 in July and am learning now to play the piano. I know it doesn't come as easily as when you are younger, but hang in there. I did learn cake decorating years ago from a Wilton instructor. At that time we used the old fashioned way of making Royal Icing. We used real egg whites. Then we decorated on paper plates. It would turn hard and we could keep designs for future referral. And we could show our family what we learned. I long ago threw away those samples but still enjoy decorating cakes. Good luck to you.

Great idea! I'm self taught in many things so this would be good for me too. And I like that you learn at your own pace :) I am 53 and still learning something new every day. Thanks! and kudos to you!

This is great! I too have always wanted to learn Cake decorating. I've played around and decorated cakes before they look ok, but nothing good enough to be sold in a bakery for sure. I like the fact that you taught yourself, I think it's one of the best ways to go. I am always teaching myself something. "Who says you can't teach an old dog a new trick." You can control what you learn and how quick you move on. I'll have to check out some of the links you added I could use lots of help. oThank you for sharing your story with us, and good luck in your cake learning journey.

Laura

Decorated Chocolate Cake
Cake Decorating Tips and Tricks
Food and Recipes Food Tips Baking CakesJanuary 20, 2010
Online Shopping
Selling Crafts Online
Handyman Finding Appliance Manuals Online
Finding Appliance Manuals Online
A woman paying her bills online.
Paying Bills Online
A woman pushing a cart of presents.
Finding Black Friday Deals Online
🎄