Major AppliancesHome Improvement

Wiring Dishwasher with 3-Prong Plug

Is it okay to wire a dishwasher with a 3 prong plug (GFCI)? I'm having trouble direct wiring it due to previous owners wiring. I have a 3 wire coming from the box (2 red, 1 white). It is connected to a 3 wire that goes to an outlet box which is located under the cabinet, by the dishwasher. I think that is the way they had the old dishwasher but I'm not 100% sure.

One other thing, 1 of the red wires from each of the 3 wire is not connected. Could they have spliced a connection to wire the dishwasher using the red wire? I know there are dishwashers that are portable and hook up/plug in, when they are operated. I don't have any problem going the plug route as long as it is safe.

Greg from Willoughby, OH

Answers

depends on the dishwasher. The bigger problem is the wiring. Normally, you would have a black hot wire, a white neutral and a green ground. Reds are also hot in a normal system. Usually they are used on a 240 volt hookup. I would have an electrician check this circuit with a tracer to find out what has been done. I know electricians are expensive but not as much as a fire. They also know current codes which are meant to keep you safe. I work for an electrical distributor so I am not up on all of the codes but I do know we sell cords to hook up dishwashers so it is possible.