Removing Scale From Aluminum

How do you clean scale from aluminum? We have an old cast aluminum tea kettle with heavy mineral-scale deposits inside and a little around the openings on the outside.

Warren from Corning, CA

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Boil some water and vinegar and it should loosen the mineral-scale deposits.

Soak in vinegar for several hours. Rinse very well. Polish up using salt and lemon. Put a liberal amount of salt onto the surface of the aluminum object and rub vigorously with half a fresh lemon. Rinse well in very hot water and dry immediately with clean tea-towel.

Hi there. I would definitely use the product Nevrdull.

I use it on everything that looks silver, my sinks, my tires and good silver and aluminum. You can get it at Walmart, Ace or HomeDepot or on-line. It works like a charm!

If the vinegar doesn't work well enough, use CLR. If your old kettle looks like the one that my mom has, the vinegar is not going to do the job. Just too many decades of build up.

Answer

Home and Garden Cleaning MetalSeptember 18, 2008
pan lined with foil
Lining a Pan With Aluminum Foil
Row of holiday trailers in a park.
Cleaning Aluminum Siding
Removing Tar from Clothing, Removing Tar from Upholstery, Removing Tar from Aluminum Siding
Removing Tar from Aluminum Siding
Homemade Postage Scale
Making a Homemade Postage Scale
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 20, 2016 at 6:08:28 PM on 10.0.1.208 in 350 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.