Cleaning Badly Burnt Pots and Pans

contest winner icon

Don't waste your time scrubbing a badly burned pot or even think about throwing it away! All you need to do is put it outside in direct sunlight for a few days. The burnt food will crust up together, and when you turn it upside down, it will all fall out. I burned a huge pot of food the other day and my mother called up with this tip. Sure enough, the pot is back to normal thanks to the sun!

Source: My mother

By attosa from Los Angeles, CA

If the pot is stainless steel just spray with a little eazy off and the burnt part lifts right off.

Also, you can fill the pan with water and put it back on the burner on low for a while. After you drain the water, the pan will be easy to clean. A little quicker if you can't wait for the more ecological way to do the job.

Wet the pan/pot sprinkle baking soda in it let it set for a day or so the pan/pot will be easier to clean. You may need to repeat for heavily soiled pans/pots.

I have found that soaking the pan overnight with a new fabric softener sheet also does the trick. Most burnt and sticky food come right out. I then run it through the dishwasher and it is ready to use again.

I just tried using sunshine and it worked great! My pot had a roughly 3-inch square area of burnt-on tomato sauce that I thought was going to require dynamite to get off. After only 3 hours of bright direct sunlight (I tilted the pot on a log to get direct exposure) it peeled right off! Yay!

Burnt Pans
Cleaning Burnt Pots and Pans
Home and Garden Cleaning DishesMay 24, 2011
Cooking with cast iron pans.
Cooking With Cast Iron Pans
Fixing Burnt Sausage
Fixing Burnt Sausage
Dirty Pots and Pans
Cleaning Pots and Pans
Dirty drip pan and stove top.
Keeping Electric Range Drip Pans Clean