Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Cleaning Badly Burnt Pots and Pans

A pot with burned food and the same pot that was cleaned by the sun.
contest winner icon

Don't waste your time scrubbing a badly burned pot or even think about throwing it away! All you need to do is put it outside in direct sunlight for a few days. The burnt food will crust up together, and when you turn it upside down, it will all fall out. I burned a huge pot of food the other day and my mother called up with this tip. Sure enough, the pot is back to normal thanks to the sun!

Before: A stainless steel pot with burned food.

After: Cleaning Badly Burnt Pots and Pans

Source: My mother

By attosa from Los Angeles, CA

Recent Feedback

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By dbsx 09/14/2013

I just tried using sunshine and it worked great! My pot had a roughly 3-inch square area of burnt-on tomato sauce that I thought was going to require dynamite to get off. After only 3 hours of bright direct sunlight (I tilted the pot on a log to get direct exposure) it peeled right off! Yay!

By tnphoenixrising [7]05/26/2011

I have found that soaking the pan overnight with a new fabric softener sheet also does the trick. Most burnt and sticky food come right out. I then run it through the dishwasher and it is ready to use again.

By Kimberly T Wright05/25/2011

Wet the pan/pot sprinkle baking soda in it let it set for a day or so the pan/pot will be easier to clean. You may need to repeat for heavily soiled pans/pots.

By carolynn05/25/2011

Also, you can fill the pan with water and put it back on the burner on low for a while. After you drain the water, the pan will be easy to clean. A little quicker if you can't wait for the more ecological way to do the job.

By Lilac [18]05/25/2011

If the pot is stainless steel just spray with a little eazy off and the burnt part lifts right off.

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to post feedback.