Plant Shade Trees to Conserve Energy

I have a large shade tree on the south side of my property that keeps the summer sun off of my mobile home. This shade tree makes such a big difference that I rarely need air conditioning. It's a large cedar, but any fast growing tree will work. If you plant a tree that looses it's leaves in the fall, then you'll still get the benefit of winter sunshine to help heat your home!

By Cyinda from near Seattle

It's called passive solar.

I plant amaranth to shade sections of my garden that keep my brassicas from getting too hot in the second half of the hot summer.

(Submitted via email)

Just a quick reminder on the lady who suggested planting a fast growing tree. The idea sounds great but rem. that all fast growing trees have a weak root system and are easily uprooted by the wind. You'd hate to plant a tree and enjoy it's shade until it's several 100 ft. tall and have it fall on your house. Connie H

Also, depending on the tree (hybrid poplars spring to mind), the root system becomes very extensive. Think about roots invading your sewer pipes, etc. before you plant one of these.

Shady Trees
Save Energy With Trees
Better Living Green Living Conservation EnergyApril 29, 2009
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
Peach pits and fruit on white background.
Growing Peach Trees from Pits
Up close photo of a Mimosa tree.
Growing Mimosa Trees
Shade Tree
Shade Tree Recommendations
🎄