Growing Tomatoes, Flowers And Veggies In Potting Soil Bags

If you live in an apartment with only a small balcony, have super-rocky soil, or are just down-right lazy like me, you can grow tomatoes, flowers and other plants in the same bag the potting soil comes in! All you do is poke drainage holes on one side of the bag, then lay the bag flat with the drainage holes towards the ground. Next, cut a criss-cross shaped hole on the side that faces up with a sharp knife or razor blade. Now simply plant your flower or veggie starts into the cross shaped hole or holes, cover with soil and close the criss-cross hole and mulch over the top of the bag to keep the roots cool. Another bonus to gardening this way is you don't have to water very often as the plastic bag helps keep the water in.

That is a wonderful Idea! Thanks!

That sounds like a good idea but my only concern is: I want to plant several things and potting soil is not cheap is it?

Hey, I think I'll try that. I can plop the bag into a container, poke it from below, and then it would look nice too. Thanks!

Yep...wonderful idea! I'm definitely going to try this one with the addition of the container tip! Thanks to both of you for sharing that one!

God Bless,

Sheila in Titusville, FL

Awesome idea! I have Fibromyalgia and haven't been able to garden like I used to and this seems easy and a good way to not have to dig around. I'll have my hubby put the bag of potting soil where I need it and go for it!

That sounds like a great idea but how do you stake your tomatoes with the bag of dirt not being deep enough, am I missing that?

Growing Tomatoes, Red Tomatoes on White Background
Growing Tomatoes
Home and Garden Gardening City GardeningMarch 27, 2008
Supporting Tomato Plants
Supporting Tomato Plants
Reusing Potting Soil
Reusing Potting Soil
Tomato plant with late blight and dying leaves
Troubleshooting Tomato Problems
Tw Red Tomatoes sitting in Ice
Using Frozen Tomatoes