Natural Sore Throat Remedies

contest winner icon

Cold and flu season is upon us so here are some good old fashioned home remedy standbys for sore throats. ;-)

• Salt water gargle of 1 teaspoon of salt to 1 cup of warm water.

• Apple cider vinegar gargle of 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to 1 cup of warm water.

• Baking soda and salt gargle of 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 cup of warm water.

• 50/50 dilution gargle of 3% hydrogen peroxide.

• Drink chamomile tea, green tea or honey and lemon with regular tea.

• Chewing slowly on a Clove is a really good one in a pinch.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

I might add something that worked for me one time by chance. I ate several pretzels, having a lot of salt on them certainly relieved my sore throat. You might keep this in mind for someone young and not able to gargle. I suggest this very often.

Moonshine Jelly, made at the Maggie Valley Opry House in Maggie Valley, NC, owner is licensed to make and sell it, $10 for 1/2 pint. One teaspoonfull will stop a cough for 3 1/2 hrs. I've used it and it shortens days you will cough. In a few days, the cough will be gone. He puts 9 mountain herbs in it. To find out what the herbs are, you have to buy his DVD on his makes it, $30.

Sip dill pickle juice, it's a variation of the vinegar and salt solution, except it tastes good for those of us who love pickles. Garlic dills, kosher, plain, even olive juice, all of them have a soothing affect.

All great "first-aid" tips for sore throat Deeli.

I keep a quart jar of super salty water with about 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar in it all the time. Then when anyone needs it, they just put a little in a glass, add some tap or even warm water and gargle. The vinegar and salt mixture seems to do the trick of healing faster than either one used by itself, and I suppose that's why "dill pickle juice" also works so well.

I also keep Southern Comfort handy as a cough medicine. It has the alcohol that's in cough syrups, but doesn't have the other stuff that ends up giving us a sick tummy. You just take tiny sips of it as often as needed. You might not want to give it to your children, but my father gave it to us, and I gave it to my children as well. It certainly never seemed to hurt any of us, and nobody turned out to be alcoholics either. I think all my children consider alcohol as either medicine or something to cook with.

The old geriatric tonics were just loaded with alcohol and "teetotalers" drank it by the gallons. I get so tickled when I think of what my Mother called it. "Straining a gnat and swallowing a camel". Thanks for sharing all the good tips. I'd not heard the one about chewing on a clove. I'm going to put

a few in a small bottle in my purse.

These are all really great posts thanks to everyone. I found a really super website for all throat issues from this opera singer named David Aaron Katz. He has a blog called Superior Vocal Health. He seems to be an herbalist also and writes about taking care of the voice naturally with herbs and stuff. Good luck to everyone!

I have not tried this because I have not had a sore throat. But I read where slowly eating a marshmallow will relieve a sore throat. Might take two if it is really sore. Let me know if you have a sore throat and try it and it works.

I keep a bottle of chelated zinc in the house and whenever I feel a scratchy throat approaching, I pop a pill right away. Then take at least one or two before bed and every single time, it's gone. Pills should be 50mg.

A doctor examining a child with a sore throat.
Sore Throat Remedies
Health & Beauty Home RemediesOctober 18, 2010
hot tea
Remedies for a Burned Throat
A girl sticking out her tongue.
Remedies for a Sore Tongue
Man With Sore Tonsils
Home Remedies for Sore Tonsils
A woman with a sore neck.
Remedies for a Sore Neck