Help For Seniors Who Need Eyeglasses

Are there any services that could help a diabetic senior, that is blind in one eye, get eyeglasses?

By ma5 from San Jose, CA

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

You could contact your local Area Agency on Aging. Scroll down a bit for listings in California.

http://www.n4a.org/about-n4a/?fa=aaa-title-VI

Oh, yes. Find your local Lions Club. They provide glasses free I believe. I used to go out with a guy who belonged to

that group and they did then.

The Lions Club has a box outside grocery stores in my state to recycle eye glasses . They recyle the frames and replace the lens for people who can not afford glasses. Contact the lyons club in your state.

This is not necessarily for seniors, but for anyone in these hard times! If you can manage to get your examination and your Rx, you can order glasses very cheaply online. I have had excellent results with www.zennioptical.com. My family and I will never pay high prices for eyeglasses again! I get a complete pair with progressive lenses for about $30 compaired to $200-$300 or more from my optician.

I, also, use http://zennioptical.com. I have been using them for years and they are great! I have ordered the $8 dollar, $20 and the $40 dollar and all have been fine. The $20 frames are nice as they have the nicer hinges.

Start Google searches, because I know that many organizations do this. I want to say Lens Crafters collects glasses as well. The only thing is that blindness may not be stopped or reversed with glasses. I would say that the Aging committees offer some info, but there is likely a diabetic care center nearby. Start by asking an MD, and then look around. Walmart's eye exams are pretty cheap (even though I hate Walmart), and optical quality frames can be bought for really next to nothing. Buying online is tough, because of the fit. check out your local optometrists, because they always have frames that are discontinued, and they could do a better job regarding sight. I don't know when vision became a luxury on insurance plans. I don't want to drive with people who can't see!

If your friend is a veteran, he can get one free pair of eyeglasses a year at any veteran's hospital.

I like using http://www.clearlylenz.com which has some nice discount glasses. I believe they start at around $30 for their prescription glasses. Zenni is even cheaper I've heard.

MA5 from San Jose, I have the same problem and my eye doctor told me to go to the Dollar Store and buy a pair of 325 glasses for one dollar. They work great. Also got a pair of glasses for my computer this was a hit and miss but it works.

Answer

Health & Beauty AdviceJuly 20, 2009
Prescription Eyeglasses Sitting on Eye Chart
Saving Money on Prescription Eyeglasses
senior aged woman planting strawberries
Gardening Tips for Seniors
Reusing An Eyeglasses Case, Empty Eyeglass Case
Reusing An Eyeglasses Case
Cleaning eyeglasses with a cloth.
Cleaning Eyeglasses
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 13, 2016 at 4:02:29 PM on 10.0.1.253 in 508 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.