Caring For My Elderly Cat

I have a female cat that is 18. She has had a couple of strokes in the past few years and has a slight balance problem. Recently, she has started urinating everywhere! Right next to the litter box, on my carpet, in my shoes, etc. She also has been vomiting more than the normal. I would place a litter box around the house if I could, but I also have a 3 yr. old female that would play in it and track it all over the house. So, I am torn...do I vacuum litter all day or take the chance on having more "accidents" around the house? I have not taken her to a vet recently, so I've read it could be a UTI. I will try to get her into the vet.

In the meantime though, is her old age contributing to all of this and what can I do to dissuade this behavior? I have had to start feeding her soft food due to her losing most of her teeth. At what point do I not let her suffer anymore if she is doing this due to her age?

Princess C from Harris, MN

It sounds like her kidneys are failing. That happened to my 16 year old cat we had to put her to sleep it was very hard to do.Good luck!

PLEASE don't wait to take her to the vet. I just put down a cat that was ill, we waited 1 extra day to get her into a specialist for an Xray and she was almost dead by the time we got her, she suffered for a day (although very quietly and even sitting on my lap {saying goodbye I believe}). Money I know is hard, but she's lived a good life, is she is loosing her bladder she might be ill and they just don't deserve to feel that humiliation (it does affect them).

Good luck!

I agree with Sandy. It sounds like kidney failure. That happened to my 12-year old Buddy. It was hard to let him go, but even harder to watch him suffer.

Good news! I took the old girl to the Vet and they ran some tests...$$$$$$, and they found she has a UTI and an inner ear infection! (The Vet is letting me pay in 3 separate payments so it doesn't hurt too much!) She is on a 3 week course of antibiotics, but her kidneys and liver are fine, and her red blood count is good. We are still waiting for thyroid tests, which could indicate a hyper active thyroid and the cause of her weight loss. So, hopefully all will be well and she still has a few more lives! Thanks to all who responded and were concerned. I will keep you posted...take care and THANKS!

I am so happy to hear that your kitty will be fine.

I really hate to tell you this, but I went through this same thing a little over a year ago. It sounds like your cat is losing control of her bowels, which indicates kidney failure. Basically, you have 2 choices...you can pay for really expensive kidney food for her, and just make her comfortable until she gives in, or you can put her down. It's a really hard decision, I know, and I opted for the former decision.

So glad to hear that your cat's problems are treatable (and how very nice of your vet to allow you to make payments). I bet she's glad that you didn't jump to the conclusion that she had to be euthanized. Please keep us posted on her progress.

We had a very similar situation. My youngest daughter grew up with a cat that lived nearly that long too, but we decided that we loved her enough to say good bye and not let her suffer physically any more because of us wanting her to still be alive.

There comes a time when you have to ask yourself "Is watching them slowly fade away better for you or for them?"

That is why after nearly 18 years of owning KITTY MAMA we sad good bye. I held her while the vet gave her the shot so I was the last thing she saw.

It isn't easy - it was like losing a loved one (human) in our family.

Go read the RAINBOW BRIDGE on line for pets that have died.

Very touching so get ready to loose it...

I'm glad your kitty is beating the odds. You must be taking very good care of the "old girl.".

Here's an update on Geena...the "old girl" :)

The first day we gave her the antibiotics she started drooling out the L. side of her mouth. I was a bit concerned and realized it was probably the infection from her L. ear draining. (Sorry to be gross)

Anyway, that lasted a day, and was gone yesterday when I woke up.

Last night when I got home from work, she was more perky and stayed out in the kitchen while I made dinner. (Some scraps accidently fell to the floor which were scooped up immediately!) It was great to see her appetite coming back.

All in all, she is coming back to us!

I think that even though it was a bit pricey the tests were worth it. It's nice to have her back!

Pets CatsOctober 8, 2007
Ederly woman
Definition of Elderly
Elderly Woman Walking with Daughter
Activities for the Elderly and Disabled
Woman Cooking for an Elderly Person
Cooking for an Elderly Person
Dog with Elderly Man
Pets and the Elderly
🎄
🍂