Power Of Attorney for an Elderly Parent

September 18, 2007

I strongly suggest if you have a parent still living that they make you power of attorney over them, in case something happens to them where they might have to wind up in the nursing home. The state will otherwise take their home and property.


By Wendy from Enid, OK

Comment Was this helpful? Yes


Read More Comments


Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.

I am 75 years old. My only child is my power of attorney. Does it need to be notarized? I have no assets, only Social Security.


May 29, 20180 found this helpful

In my state you don't have to notarize a power of attorney.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
May 29, 20180 found this helpful

You are to be commended for being transparent and proactive with your wishes!

Consider seeing if there is a legal aid service to tell you your state's rules. If you not have a legal aid service, look up a local law school and ask to speak with the dean. He/she can give you your state's rules.

From personal experience, I strongly recommend having a lawyer review your will, power of attorney etc. with you and your daughter together. Also, if you can afford it, have a tax preparer/financial planner review the money end so your daughter gets the maximums and is not stuck with excessive or unexpected inheritance taxes.

This is important even if you think you don't have much. Some state's rules can really pinch grieving families with unexpected taxes and fees. It is terrible when this happens... especially if it could have been avoided.

Good luck!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
May 30, 20180 found this helpful

I am in North Carolina and recently a relative in Texas asked us to be his POA and we had to get it notarized. As well, we had to go to a couple of different notaries befure they felt comfortable signing the document we provided which was one we altered off a form on the internet.

so saying I'm not sure how it can harm to have it notarized in case someone ever contests it

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
May 31, 20180 found this helpful

It does not seem as if you need it notarized. Here is some information for your state:

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
January 20, 20190 found this helpful

In CA POA has to be notarized or witnessed by 2 unrelated people.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Answer this Question

September 19, 2019

My brother was taking care of my mother. She is on Social Security. He ended up going to jail, but he didn't have power of attorney.

He was the caretaker of my mother. Now that I have my mother what do I have to do to get her benefits?


September 19, 20190 found this helpful

While I am not exactly clear on what you are asking, I hope this helps.

If your mom is on social security and moved from your brother's home to yours, she needs to change her address with the social security administration. Here is their phone number: 1 (800) 772-1213. You cannot do this for her, she needs to do that herself.

If your mom wants you to help pay her bills and make various decisions for her, she will need to be of sound mind and it is best to have a lawyer create one or all of the forms of Power of Attorney available in your state. Each state is different, so be sure to find a reputable lawyer in your state to get this done.

Also be sure that your mother has a defined will and that she assigns someone she trusts to execute it upon her passing. If this is not done there can be all kinds of issues when she passes on.

If your mother is NOT of sound mind, you will want to talk to a lawyer to apply for guardianship over her so you can take care of her. This is a very expensive and lengthy process and again, each state is different so be sure to talk to the lawyer about your state's requirements and how long it takes.

Some people will tell you you do not need a lawyer to do power of attorney paperwork that you can do it online. I am sure in some places that is possible, but it is never recommended because of the complexity of the situations. In these matters it is ALWAYS best to have it done by someone who has a law degree and a license to practice in your state.

Always best to leave these things to a professional.

Post back with updates! Prayers and blessings to you and your family.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
September 19, 20190 found this helpful

You can draw up a power of attorney yourself. Forms are online. You have to have your mother sign it and get it notarized in my state. The next step is to notify Social Security that you are the new caretaker and the benefits will be sent to you. Be sure you keep careful records to show that the money is actually spent on your mother. Social Security can call you in requesting this.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
September 20, 20190 found this helpful

Actually you need to talk to her doctor and tell him you are her caretaker. Usually if your mom is able to talkand write she can make you her caretaker. But usually you need a layer to become official power of/ attorney.Write out a paper and bring your mom to the doctor and have her sign it in front of the doctor . If she cannot write thenshe may sign an x.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
September 20, 20190 found this helpful

There are too many variables in your case to offer advice or even good suggestions as someone who knows family law would have to ask a lot of questions before giving you legal advice.

You really need to discuss this problem with an attorney.
If you cannot afford to pay high legal fees you can search Google for Family Services with your zip code and make an appointment to discuss this problem with them. They should be able to supply information since this is concerning a senior who apparently needs care in her daily needs.

You cannot change very much over the telephone with Social Security and only your mother has the authority to change anything about her benefits.
Social Security benefits are usually deposited in a bank account so you will have to have legal right to access these funds.

If your mother agrees, an attorney can make arrangements through the court for you to have access to her benefits if they are being used to take care of her.
A POA is only good while that person is alive and is no longer valid when the person dies.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
September 22, 20190 found this helpful

If you have taken over the care of your mom, you will need to go to an attorney and also SSN to see what you can do to get the money transfered to your account instead of your brothers. The court is the only one who can issue you power of attorney and you should seek legal advice to see what you need to do.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Answer this Question

April 16, 2019

I am hold the power of attorney for my late 80 year old mother. She is running out of money, has dementia, and I am ready to apply from Medicare to Medicaid for her. The problem is that my sister still co-owns a business with our mother and she is unwilling to be forthcoming with the accounts and information needed for the application.

She states the bank will recall the business loan which is in our mother's name. What can be done to get the information needed and satisfy my sister?


April 17, 20190 found this helpful

Most likely your answer is going to need a lawyer (perhaps the one who did the POA paperwork since he/she knows the situation). as you are dealing with needs that are outside the scope most lay people being able to help if your sister is not cooperating.

If that lawyer is no longer available or won't take the challenge, Google your town name and the phrase 'state senator' and see if someone from their office can help you with a reputable legal aide source (never Google legal aide as 99% of those seem to be scams.

If your mother is in a nursing home, some have social work teams that do that paperwork (to get the person on Medicaid) and perhaps if they approached your sister, she may cooperate with them...but if not, a lawyer is needed. I would think the first thing would be to get your mom out of that business and off of that loan and that is a legal transaction from my point of view.

Prayers for an easy solution. Post back so I know how it is going for you!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
April 17, 20190 found this helpful

You need a lawyer for this. There is a 5 year look back period, so you cannot transfer assets.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
April 19, 20190 found this helpful

Thank you all for your input. A lawyer already consulted has suggested I just give the financials for the business & wait for them to ask for more. You can not get someone out of a loan, the loan would have to be settled & paid off and the funds are not there so I am told. Plus the sister would never take responsibility for it. Getting the mother off of the business would be impossible without going to court to become her conservator which is a bit deal. Would upset all. The transfer of assets into the business, if there were any, would have happened more than five year ago based on what I have seen in the Lien thru our state. Thus the stalemate.
Somehow I have to force my sister to let me see the books to satisfy that I am doing proper due diligence before I fill out the Medicaid forms. Also the Title of this post in incorrect Thriftyfun, it should read : Applying for Medicaid for an Elderly Mother. Peace to all.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Answer this Question
In This Page
Business and Legal Legal General AdviceMarch 20, 2017
New Years Ideas!
Coronavirus Tips
Christmas Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2020-12-14 13:28:11 in 3 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.