MiscellaneousCrafts

Making a Swan from Netting and Coat Hanger

I am looking for instructions for a swan made of wire hangers and netting.

By Di from Orlando, FL

I just made one. My grandmother and I used to make them as kids and she is still alive and we sat down and figured out the pattern. It turned out so cute. I will take a photo and post it as soon as possiable.

-first cut and shape coat hanger as shown

-next wrap neck with gauze then with net I make mine thick

-cut your net 50 inches long and 4 inches wide, fold in thirds and take 1/2 of a thin pipe cleaner to tie it in the middle.

-fluff it up to look like a pom-pom, and start twisting them on.

-when you have enough on use orange felt for the beak, black fet for around the eyes and black beads for the eyes.

I have made a white one too and it is prettier. Any questions feel free to contact me.

Here is another angle on how to shape the coat hanger.

When I was 9 years old, I made a Swan in vacation bible school and gave it to my Grandma as an"I love you"gift. She made me feel like I was Picasso himself with my art work. My Grandma has passed on and I am a grandma myself. I cannot wait to pass this swan on to my grandbabies and make them feel famous in my heart and theirs.

I was probably 5 or 6 yrs old when I made one at Sunday School at Church. I am 3 months shy of being 60. I will never forget the beautiful pink swan I made out of a coat hanger and crinoline. I have a 5 ur old granddaughter who loves to do crafts with me. I am going to do this with her and I hope this is a memorable to her as it still is for me. We were dirt poor and this was and still is, the most beautiful thing I ever made in my life! I hope she loves hers just as much! Always, Sharron Graham (Mimi)

I am looking for a pattern of a nylon netting swan made from a piece of wood, metal coat hanger, elastic cord, and nylon netting. These were popular in the late 60s early 70s. I would really like to have this pattern. Thank you.

By Florence from Ottumwa, IA

In the late 60s my great-grandmother made me a swan. She made it out of netting and a coat hanger. I love doing crafts and would like the pattern. I would love to make one, since mine is long gone. Thanks for the help.

By Barb from Albany, KY

Answers:

Does anyone have the pattern for a swan that is made with netting material on a wire coat hanger?

By Ladymort56 from Woodbridge, VA