Divide Large Canned Goods Into Smaller Servings

As expensive as canned vegetables have gotten, I find it better to buy one super large can and divide portions into small size zip bags for freezing. I then am very happy with the ease of bag boiling my veggie (I have only done this with corn so far) and even better, I can pack it in whatever size portion I need!

By Veronica from Sedalia, MO

Is it safe to use zip bags to boil your vegetables? Or do we need to find a special "boil in bag" type? Also, what is the quality of the canned vegetables after freezing? I thought they may be mushy...such as the green beans. Thanks for any tips.

I froze canned green beans last month and boy was it a mistake. I will never do that one again. Really mushy once thawed and cooked. I wonder if all canned goods will be that bad?

Why is there no response to the question about the baggies posted 10/9/07? Is it safe to store in ziplocs? Specifically ones for the freezer? And then to use them as boil-in-bags like they use to sell in the stores (chicken-a-la-king)? I hope someone will respond.

Vegetables canned at home.
Using Canned Vegetables
Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesOctober 8, 2007
Transferring Liquids Into Smaller Containers
Two echinacea flowers
Dividing Perennials
straining can 2
Straining Canned Goods
Organizing Canned Goods
Organizing Canned Goods
🎄