Repairing Kitchen Cabinets

How can I patch laminate cabinets?

By Bonnie from Cherry Hill, NJ

Answers

February 10, 2010 Flag

I have white laminate kitchen cupboards and the material on the back of the cupboard is coming loose. I would like to remove it and put something in its place. Any suggestions? These are low grade particle board cabinets and I can't afford to replace them yet. Any ideas?

By beeboo from Brooksville, FL

Answers:

Repairing Kitchen Cabinets

The backing of the cabinets most likely a heavy duty cardboard. The cabinets would have to be taken off the wall and either replace the material or leave it off so the wall itself will be the backing. Then reapply the cabinets to the wall. Taking the cabinets off the wall is easy, all you need is a screw driver. Putting them back up may be a bit harder to do as they have to be lined up correctly.

Or you could leave the cabinets on the wall and try to cut the backing off with a very sharp knife so that the wall itself would be the backing or try to cut new material and glue or nail it over the old material while the cabinets are on the wall. To do this I would remove the doors so they would not be in the way, remove the shelves if possible. Measure the width and length of the old material, cut the same size from new material and glue or nail over the old material. For new backing material I am sure you could find some material to use from Lowe's or Home Depot. (08/18/2009)

By foxrun41

Repairing Kitchen Cabinets

Maybe you could cover the backing with contact paper. That would be an inexpensive, temporary fix. (08/21/2009)

By Momof1

Repairing Kitchen Cabinets

I can't remember the name of it, but Lowe's has a product that comes in a tube for a caulking gun that will glue almost anything together. It's very strong. It's for commercial use in houses and for building cabinets without nails. You have to have the area well ventilated for like 24 hours after using it. We bought some very pretty wall board for our bathroom once and it kept loosening from the wall. A friend, a carpenter by trade, told us about this and we didn't have any more problems, that is, until we tried to remove the wallboard several years later!

I would use this first as it could save you a lot of problems trying to remove the old laminate to apply something else. Your particle board will probably crumble if the old laminate is removed. Just squirt a little of this adhesive in where you need it and clamp together. It would probably be better to take them down first and put them somewhere where you can isolate them from the rest of the house as the warning on the tube says to ventilate well and not breathe in the fumes. (09/08/2009)

By Juanita S.

Home and Garden Repair Home KitchenFebruary 10, 2010
Wood Kitchen Cabinets
Cleaning Wood Cabinets
White painted kitchen cabinets.
Cleaning Painted Cabinets
Wood cabinet doors ready to be painted.
Painting Wood Cabinets
Cleaning yellow stains on cabinets.
Cleaning Kitchen Cabinets
🎉
🎄