Using Child's Swimming Pool For Pond

We have a plastic turtle-shaped sandbox that my children no longer use. Can I fill that with water and water plants to make a pond? If so, is it okay to put a couple of goldfish in it, too? Thanks!

Carolyn

We haven't had good luck with ponds. How about instead try putting a garden in it? Just be sure to drill holes in the bottom and set it up on some bricks. Let me know what ya think.

As I know of, any pond that will have fish will require a filter, unless you want some upsidown fishies :) I am unsure if the same applies to water plants, 50/50 they might need oxygenation of the water as well.

Well, I'm going to say a little bit differently. I live in an 2nd floor apartment, so no pond. However I did have a cold water fish tank and a few goldfish, and NO FILTER. I just cleaned it out regularly, and my fish lived for over 5 years.

I really can't see why your turtle swimming pool couldn't be a pond. Gardening magazines are always showing pics of 'balcony ponds' for those who have no gardens. All sorts of thing are used, half barrels, big bowls etc. At one stage I did have a very large plastic bowl out on my (uncovered) balcony with some goldfish in it. That worked too, though be sure to have some shade for them in very hot weather. Good luck!

I have done that before with a little pool that looks like a sunflower. If you do put goldfish in there, be sure to cover it in the winter but allow a little space for air. You aren't suppose to feed the fish in the winter. I've had some goldfish do real well in mine. Peace lillies are good flowers to use too!

Good luck!

That'll work but you need a small pump to keep the water moving through a spitter (frog, turtle, etc.) and the goldfish will prevent mosquito infestation which you'd get with standing water. To keep the water clear, you can wrap the filter with a couple of layers of old panty hose with a rubber band. When it gets dirty, just replace it. You also want to have plants that oxygenate the water. There's lots of water garden web sites to get you going. I have a big antique galvanized metal tub that has my water garden in it and has for a number of years.

Great idea for a pond. I too have a turtle swimming pool but I believe I will convert it to a garden. I have done that with a small, round, hard plastic swimming pool. I drilled holes in the bottom, put in a garden liner, then filled with dirt. I planted strawberries in my swimming pool garden. They have done well, except the birds get the fruit before I do. Best Wishes on Your Use of your pool!

Home and Garden Gardening Ponds and Rockery Pond TipsMay 30, 2008
Girl with Long Hair in Swimming Pool
Preventing Damaged Hair From Swimming Pools
Lanscaping around a swimming pool.
Landscaping Around Swimming Pools
Garden Pond
Building a Garden Pond
Controlling Algae in a Pond
Controlling Algae in a Pond
🎄