Building a Garden Pond

We had designed and constructed a rock garden pond in one of our flower beds in the front yard a few years ago; the liner got a hole in it and the pond began to lose water.

We took the entire pond apart rock by rock and bought a new liner, dug the pond opening larger and built a dam around the perimeter of the pond to keep the water in the pond. We constructed a small waterfall and a perch for the ceramic frog that "spits." We filled the bottom of the pond with large stones and river rock.

There is a large fern growing behind the pond which gives it color; plus I have a bird feeder with a homemade gazing ball in it; I have 2 miniature spruce trees on each side of the pond in the front with stepping stones in an oval shape going to each tree.

A plastic window box sits on river rock which is filled with bright orange Zinnias; I have whimsical ceramic and resin frogs and turtles around the pond. All the river rock and stones came from my late sister's home in the Ozark mountains which makes it a very special place to visit.

The sound of the water coming from the small waterfall and the "spitting" frog (we put a tube in the ceramic frogs mouth and placed a pump nearby) the frog spits water into the pond; I also have a ceramic green lizard that sits on the other side of the perch where the frog sits like it wants to pounce on the frog and eat it!

It was fun reconstructing this pond and the enjoyment of this area of our yard is beyond measure in our eyes.

By JOSE

16 More Solutions

This was our summer 2006 project. We had collected various sizes of rocks from vacation spots, my late sister's home in Heber Springs, Arkansas, Europe, and other places.

Decorative pond with lots of frog statuary.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

We had to cut down a dead tree a few years ago but could not remove the stump for several reasons. To cover up the stump and some raised roots we decided to put in a pond and garden.

Pond and Birdbath at Site of Cut Down Tree

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

If possible it is a better idea to locate a garden pond closer to your home rather than far away. Ponds are like swimming pools - they attract wild critters, pets, and also the neighborhood children.

Below are some tips for building a cheap gardening bond.

We have a plastic turtle-shaped sandbox that my children no longer use. Can I fill that with water and water plants to make a pond? If so, is it okay to put a couple of goldfish in it, too? Thanks!

Carolyn

Answers

By Ellie (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Well, I'm going to say a little bit differently. I live in an 2nd floor apartment, so no pond. However I did have a cold water fish tank and a few goldfish, and NO FILTER. I just cleaned it out regularly, and my fish lived for over 5 years.
I really can't see why your turtle swimming pool couldn't be a pond. Gardening magazines are always showing pics of 'balcony ponds' for those who have no gardens. All sorts of thing are used, half barrels, big bowls etc. At one stage I did have a very large plastic bowl out on my (uncovered) balcony with some goldfish in it. That worked too, though be sure to have some shade for them in very hot weather. Good luck!

By Marna (Guest Post)
Best Answer

That'll work but you need a small pump to keep the water moving through a spitter (frog, turtle, etc.) and the goldfish will prevent mosquito infestation which you'd get with standing water. To keep the water clear, you can wrap the filter with a couple of layers of old panty hose with a rubber band. When it gets dirty, just replace it. You also want to have plants that oxygenate the water. There's lots of water garden web sites to get you going. I have a big antique galvanized metal tub that has my water garden in it and has for a number of years.

Answer this Question

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

Hi to all you pond lovers. Here is a picture of my back yard. I built my pond by hand and went out every evening to add rocks. It was a lot of hard work, but the end of it all it was well worth it. Hope you like this picture.

A backyard garden pond, with rockery and decorations.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 11

We had a garden beside the kids playground that had to be moved because the wild blackberries were killing the plants. My 10 year old son came up with this plan. We worked hard for 5 days digging the pond and transplanting the garden.

Transplanted Garden and Pond

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 5

This is my pond. My Hubby built it because we live on a hill and I was retiring. He dug it all out by hand. It's very relaxing. Even inside our bedroom, you can hear the waterfall and the bullfrog while you are falling asleep.

A garden rock pond with lots of plants and a small waterfall.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 4

I thought I would share this thrifty idea as I only have a small garden and wanted a pond.

Making a Small Garden Pond

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 3

My hubby created this beautiful pond for me to enjoy. It is situated right outside of our doorway so we enjoy it all day long. In the evening it is illuminated with colorful lights and it's so cool to see the fish cruising around in the dark.

Garden Pond

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 9

Our deck and fish pond was made out of items that were free. The rocks around the pond are from all over. Texas, West Virginia, Kentucky, and Georgia.

Summer Garden with Fish Pond

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 2

This is an interesting way to reuse an old tub and make a large water feature and bird bath for your yard. This is a page about making a bathtub water pond.

clawfoot bathtub pond

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1
Load More
Home and Garden Gardening Ponds and RockeryMarch 23, 2012
👒
🌻
🐛
👔
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Building-a-Garden-Pond-Guide.html