Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Hydrogen Peroxide Stain Remover

For several years now, I have been buying hydrogen peroxide by the bottle. When I get a stain on clothing, I lay the clothing on the counter, pour peroxide on the stain, rub in, and after a few hours wash as usual. The stain comes right out. The only thing I don't put hydrogen peroxide on is pure silk clothing. I have used it on suede shoes. Apply hydrogen peroxide, rub with a brush several times, and let air dry. You might have to do this a few times because shoes get really dirty, but it makes mine look new again. Hydrogen peroxide works for wine, blood, and can be used on your carpets too! Let me know what you think.

By marlene33 from Sun City West, AZ

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By i.am.ann-marie11/03/2013

My understanding is that hydrogen peroxide will lift any stain of biological origin, I learned this from a paramedic friend, blood, urine, vomit, feces, etc. In that line of work you see it all "and" you have to wear a uniform, the hydrogen peroxide has saved this profession a lot of money that likely would've been spent on uniform replacements!

By Bonnie Varga [18]07/13/2010

A few months ago my husband was at the doctor's office and got some blood all over his shirt. The nurse immediately got a bottle of hydrogen peroxide & rubbed it into the stain and all the blood came right out. We were amazed. You're right, it works like a charm.

By Litter Gitter [91]07/12/2010

Thumbs up for this one. I also buy peroxide in the large container. I use it for the same purposes and also use it to clean the brush for my electric tooth brush. I put the brush part down into a deep prescription pill container, fill it with peroxide and let it sit over night. It cleans it good and freshens up the brush.

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Hydrogen Peroxide Stain Remover

Keep a bottle of hydrogen peroxide by your washer and spray it on stains before washing. It works great on baby formula stains and underarm stains. Some sprayers will fit on in place of the peroxide cap so you do not even need to change bottles.

**NEVER use peroxide on wool, silk or dry-clean only clothing. If you are worried about color fastness, test on a little spot inside the hem of the garment where it won't show.

RE: Hydrogen Peroxide Stain Remover

Peroxide also works great on Blood stains. I have a lot of pets and thorny bushes plus I'm a cluts so blood stains are an everyday thing with me. Also, it's skeeter season. (08/12/2004)

By Linne

Peroxide for Laundry and Carpet Stains

I keep a spray bottle of peroxide in my laundry room. It's good for spraying on grass or blood stains, etc. Also, I have a light colored carpet and a quick spray of peroxide with a little dabbing makes the stain disappear. Test in an inconspicuous area first. (11/24/2004)

By SharonP

RE: Hydrogen Peroxide Stain Remover

I have found that peroxide gets out that dreaded mud a person can't get out after it is dried in or washed. When my son comes in fron 4 wheeling I spay his clothes and wash when I have a full load. It still amazes me. Saves on clothes too! (11/25/2004)

By Marylou

RE: Hydrogen Peroxide Stain Remover

Here is just a little caution. The reason that hydrogen peroxide always comes in a dark container is that light will cause it to undergo a chemical transformation that will turn it back into water. If you are putting a spray top on your bottle make sure it does not let light through. I also would not suggest putting hydrogen peroxide in one of those clear spray bottles. If you do, you may find that after a few days you are treating stains with good old H2O. (01/22/2005)

By Schroedog

RE: Hydrogen Peroxide Stain Remover

Peroxide works great on dog urine stains - it not only took out the stain, but the smell! It also restored the light blue grey color of the carpet! That was an added bonus as they desperately need to be replaced! I found pouring in on the stain worked much better than spraying, but our stains were awful due to a young pup and an elderly incontinent dog. (02/18/2006)

By mary

RE: Hydrogen Peroxide Stain Remover

The dog peed on my son's mattress. I used store bought pet stain remover and it left the mattress with dark looking stains all over and it still smelled. I poured a small bottle of peroxide, and I used paper towels to wipe away the stains. The smell was gone also! (04/12/2008)

By Karen

RE: Hydrogen Peroxide Stain Remover

I had a really bad blood stain on a mattress. Soaked in bad! I put hydrogen peroxide on a rag, so as not to soak the mattress, and then put it on the stain. I repeated to all parts of the stain. Then scrubbed, wiped off, and rinsed the rag. I repeated till the blood was gone. When the hydrogen peroxide touched the blood it fizzed and turned white. I waited till it stopped before wiping off with the rag. For the most part it got all the blood. In the parts where the blood was thickest I could only get it off enough to where it was a light brown stain. Good enough and better than before. (09/03/2008)

By shirleyamh

Since I intend to use hydrogen peroxide as a stain remover, what is the strength of the peroxide I should use?

Nadia

RE: Hydrogen Peroxide Stain Remover

You can use the hydrogen peroxide either full-strength or diluted to half-strength (half water, half hydrogen peroxide). Since less is more, we recommend always starting with half-strength and adding more if necessary. Pour your hydrogen peroxide solution onto the stain and allow it to soak for 30 minutes. Launder on cool and air dry. If the stain remains, soak it for another 30 minutes in a stronger solution (more hydrogen peroxide). (09/19/2008)

By LMcCay420

RE: Hydrogen Peroxide Stain Remover

I use hydrogen peroxide in my rug shampooer instead of rug shampoo. I just use the same amount instead of rug cleaner. (09/20/2008)

By Beth

RE: Hydrogen Peroxide Stain Remover

I listened to the advice and used 1/2 hydrogen peroxide and 1/2 water in a spray bottle to get chocolate off a load of whites and colors that had been dried on high heat. Chocolate melted all over everything. 2 and a half hours of spot treatment and scrubbing later all my daughters Abercrombie shirts and sweatshirts made it! Thanks for the advice and for saving me a bundle on replacing designer duds! I used the remaining amount in the spray bottle in the washer too. Worked great. (02/20/2009)

By Regina

A short cut and very inexpensive tip for cleaning stains on a carpet is to get a bottle of peroxide at wal-mart or any other store and put a spray nozzle on it. Every time you get a stain, or spot on a carpet, spray the peroxide on it. Wait about ten minutes then take warm water with any dish liquid that has lemon in it and blot up. The spot will be gone.

It's cheap and it works on blood if you spray the peroxide on immediately. The blood will just disappear, you can imagine what it does for any stains with color. You do have to try and get the stain early. if you let the peroxide sit it on an older stain, it may lighten the spot rather than remove. Just remember to also use dish liquid or soap powder with lemon. The peroxide is the best. I have six children, two dogs and a cat and lots of parties and spills at the house but the carpet looks great.

Good Luck!

Source: First Aid Class taught me the peroxide will remove the blood and disinfect it

By CRAMBLITTM from Edgewood, MD

RE: Hydrogen Peroxide Stain Remover

Brilliant! Thanks for tip. (10/13/2009)

By michelle.farmer

RE: Hydrogen Peroxide Stain Remover

For pet stains I used it straight from the bottle and used a soft brush to scrub it. I then soaked it up with paper towel. These were stains that were there for a long time. It also removed the smell. The rug looks and smells so much better. (10/15/2009)

By jagegr