Ideas for Door Insulation

Illinois winter blew in extra-early this year and I did not have the money to buy a much-needed storm door for the back door which leads down to the basement. The thin wooden door has nine windows and two panels on the bottom. I cut cardboard to fit the windows and have sealed around the edges with hot glue which can be removed in the Spring, instead of using caulk.

For the thin bottom panels, I cut cardboard to fit and a pieces of that thin pink styrofoam that was leftover from an insulation project. I covered the cardboard and styrofoam with leftover scrap black material and fit them snugly into the panel. I plan to cover the cardboard window inserts with material as well when I have time to be more decorative.

I have also sealed around the edges of the door using hot glue and thick rope-like material I bought for pennies at the local thrift store. The door is closed off for the winter, but it's just amazing at the difference it's made. There's hardly any cold air coming in at all!

By Susan M. Smith from Mattoon, Illinois

front door of a house during winter
Insulating a Front Door
Home and Garden Home Improvement InsulationDecember 23, 2005
Oven Door Towel
Making an Oven Door Towel
Red Exterior Door
Paint Color Ideas for Exterior Door
Insulated Fabric Food Basket
Making an Insulated Fabric Food Basket
Beautiful drapes.
Saving Money on Drapes, Blinds and Window Treatments